AAC foes will clash when the Connecticut Huskies (11-12, 4-6 AAC) challenge the South Florida Bulls (8-16, 1-10 AAC) at Harry A. Gampel Pavilion. Connecticut is a 13-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 129.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 7, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
South Florida Bulls at Connecticut Huskies Free Preview
The Bulls lost to the Tulsa Golden Hurricane in their last matchup, 63-54. Stephan Jiggetts had a solid performance for South Florida, leading both teams in scoring with 22 points on 6-for-13 shooting. Tulsa did a terrific job of making free throws (23-27; 85.2 percent). South Florida, on the other hand, held the Golden Hurricane to an effective field goal percentage of 0.364 (below their season average of 0.504).
In the Huskies last game, they were beaten by the No. 8 Cincinnati Bearcats, 65-57. Jalen Adams was the games leading scorer with 20 points on 7-for-20 shooting. Cincinnati did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (18-24; 75.0 percent). Connecticut, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (14.1 vs. 16.5).
Half-court execution will be critical when a pair of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams square off. Connecticut ranks 264th in possessions per game (68.0) and South Florida is 335th (65.4).
Jiggetts has been superb over the last five games for South Florida, averaging 15.8 points per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Huskies won all three contests last season. In the most recent game, Connecticut won 77-66. The Huskies dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.500 and a turnover percentage of 18.9. For those same stats, the Bulls were 0.190 and 24.4, respectively.
South Florida Bulls vs. Connecticut Huskies Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Connecticut, ATS Winner – South Florida, O/U – Under
- The Huskies rank 146th in rebounds per game (35.7) while the Bulls rank 232nd (33.4).
- South Florida ranks 241st in assists per game (11.8) while Connecticut ranks 279th (9.7).
- South Florida ranks 103rd in three pointers allowed per game (20.9) while Connecticut ranks 249th (24.6).
- The Huskies rank 46th in steals allowed per game (5.3) while the Bulls rank 175th (7.1).
- Connecticut averages 4.0 blocks per game, which ranks 72nd in the NCAA. South Florida ranks 161st in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- The Huskies average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.8, up from 4.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulls have scored an average of 63.4 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.6 points per game (0.3 above their season average).