The No. 12 South Dakota State Jackrabbits (28-6) square off against the No. 5 Ohio State Buckeyes (24-8) in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament at Taco Bell Arena. The Jackrabbits opened as an 8-point underdog. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 147 points and action gets underway at 4 p.m. ET on Thursday, March 15, 2018.
South Dakota State Jackrabbits vs. Ohio State Buckeyes Betting Odds
In their last contest, the Buckeyes lost a close one to the Penn State Nittany Lions, 69-68, while the Jackrabbits defeated the South Dakota Coyotes, 97-87.
The Jackrabbits held the Coyotes to an effective field goal percentage of 0.453 (below their season average of 0.540) and had a free throw rate of 0.323 (above their season average of 0.270). Ohio State, meanwhile, held Penn State to an effective field goal percentage of 0.457 (below their season average of 0.529). Ohio State’s Keita Bates-Diop had a good game, recording 25 points and five rebounds. Mike Daum, meanwhile played a key role for South Dakota State with 25 points and 11 rebounds.
It might turn into a shootout as a pair of the NCAA’s top offenses go head-to-head. Ohio State currently ranks 55th with 112.1 points per 100 possessions and South Dakota State is ninth (117.8). It will also be a tale of two styles as the fast-breaking Jackrabbits rank 59th in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Buckeyes rank 267th.
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when predicting totals of Jackrabbits games, with 15 overs compared to 13 unders. South Dakota State holds records of 28-6 straight up (SU) and 19-9 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Buckeyes’ 30 games that accepted bets, 21 have finished under the O/U total. Further, Ohio State owns records of 24-8 SU and 15-14-1 ATS.
Mike Daum has been excellent as of late for South Dakota State, averaging 26.6 points and 12.2 rebounds over the last five games.
South Dakota State Jackrabbits vs. Ohio State Buckeyes Free Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Ohio State, ATS Winner – Ohio State, O/U – Under
- South Dakota State ranks 29th in three pointers attempted per game (26.4) while Ohio State ranks 242nd (19.1).
- The Jackrabbits allow the 35th-fewest blocks per game (2.6) while the Buckeyes rank 36th (2.6).
- The Buckeyes rank 21st in rebounds allowed per game (31.3) while the Jackrabbits rank 174th (35.2).
- South Dakota State is 12th in the NCAA with 4.8 steals allowed per game while Ohio State is 32nd with 5.2 steals allowed per game.
- The Jackrabbits’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.6, down from 10.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Buckeyes have scored an average of 69.0 points per game (6.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.4 points per game (3.7 above their season average).