Summit foes will battle when the Western Illinois Leathernecks (10-10, 1-6 Summit) go head-to-head with the South Dakota Coyotes (18-6, 6-2 Summit) at Western Hall. South Dakota is a 12-point favorite on the opening line, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 145 points. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 1, 2018.
South Dakota Coyotes at Western Illinois Leathernecks Betting Preview
In the Coyotes’ last contest, they fell to the Denver Pioneers, 84-68. With 16 points on 6-for-10 shooting, Tyler Hagedorn was South Dakota’s high scorer. Denver had an effective field goal percentage of 0.664 (above their season average of 0.535). South Dakota, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (12.6 vs. 20.5).
The Leathernecks are trying to rebound after their 80-69 loss to the North Dakota State Bison in their last contest. Kobe Webster was Western Illinois’ leading scorer with 24 points on 10-for-20 shooting. North Dakota State did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (10-14; 71.4 percent). Western Illinois, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 9.7 (better than their season average of 18.0).
Western Illinois may have difficulty getting to the free throw line in this showdown. The Leathernecks rank 335th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.184, while South Dakota ranks 57th in FTA rate allowed (0.198).
Of South Dakota’s 19 games that accepted bets, 10 have finished over the O/U total, while 10 of Western Illinois’ 15 games have finished over the projected point total. The Coyotes hold a significant advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 18-6 SU and 12-7 ATS, while the Leathernecks are 10-10 SU and 8-7 ATS.
Webster has been superb over the last five games for Western Illinois, averaging 19.8 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 112 points, well under the projected point total of 147.5. The Coyotes won 62-50, but were unable to cover as 18-point favorites. The Coyotes dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.368 and an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 36.6. The Leathernecks were 0.182 and 20.5, respectively, for those same stats. In the loss, Webster led all scorers with 19 points.
South Dakota Coyotes vs. Western Illinois Leathernecks Free Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – South Dakota, ATS Winner – South Dakota, O/U – Over
- The Coyotes average 37.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 82nd in the nation.
- The Leathernecks rank 95th in rebounds allowed per game (33.6).
- South Dakota is 9-3 ATS on the road, while Western Illinois is 4-3 ATS at home.
- The Coyotes have 6 overs, 5 unders and 1 push in 12 road games.
- The Leathernecks have 6 overs and 1 under in 7 home games.
- South Dakota ranks 34th in steals allowed per game (5.2) while Western Illinois ranks 169th (7.1).
- The Leathernecks rank ninth in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while the Coyotes rank 91st (3.3).
- South Dakota ranks 156th in three pointers allowed per game (22.4) while Western Illinois ranks 226th (24.2).
- Western Illinois is 2-2 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, South Dakota is 4-1 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push.
- The Leathernecks’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.4, down from 3.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Coyotes have scored an average of 78.0 points per game (2.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.2 points per game (2.3 above their season average).