Expect a high-scoring game when the UCLA Bruins (7-3) and the South Dakota Coyotes (11-3) square off at Pauley Pavilion. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 158.5 points with UCLA set as a 7.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 19, 2017, and it can be seen on Pac-12 Network.
South Dakota Coyotes vs. UCLA Bruins Odds Preview
The last time the Coyotes played, they defeated the San Jose State Spartans, 76-62. Tyler Hagedorn was the top scorer from either team with 27 points on 8-for-16 shooting. South Dakota dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.365 (above their season average of 0.259) and a turnover percentage of 21.3 (worse than their season average of 14.8). For those same stats, San Jose State had marks of 0.204 and 26.4, respectively.
The Bruins are hoping for a better outcome after their 77-63 loss to the No. 25 Cincinnati Bearcats in their last outing. With 12 points and eight rebounds, UCLA’s Kris Wilkes had a solid performance. Cincinnati’s free throw rate was their biggest advantage over UCLA. The Bearcats had a rate of 0.259 (above their season average of 0.252), while the Bruins posted a mark of 0.107 (below their season average of 0.275).
The game should be a showdown of strength against strength as the prolific offense of UCLA (18th in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 109.1) takes on the top-notch defense of South Dakota (43rd in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 93.2).
Of South Dakota’s 10 games with betting action, five have finished over the projected point total, while 5 of UCLA’s 9 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Coyotes have a clear advantage. They are 11-3 SU and 7-3 ATS, while the Bruins are 7-3 SU and 3-7 ATS.
South Dakota Coyotes at UCLA Bruins Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UCLA, ATS Winner – South Dakota, O/U – Over
- The Coyotes rank 29th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while the Bruins rank 97th (6.8).
- South Dakota averages 37.6 rebounds per game, which ranks 85th in the nation. UCLA ranks 132nd in rebounds allowed per game (35.2).
- UCLA ranks 29th in blocks per game (4.6) while South Dakota ranks 176th (2.1).
- The Bruins rank 97th in three pointers attempted per game (20.7) while the Coyotes rank 227th (18.4).
- UCLA ranks second in assists per game (15.1) while South Dakota ranks 93rd (14.7).
- The Bruins average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.6, up from 7.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Coyotes have scored an average of 82.8 points per game (0.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 74.6 points per game (7.0 above their season average).