The South Carolina State Bulldogs (4-11) will attempt to put an end to their 10-game road losing streak in a matchup against the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats (5-9) at Moore Gym. Action starts at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
South Carolina State Bulldogs at Bethune-Cookman Wildcats Free Preview
The Bulldogs lost big to the UCF Knights in their last outing, 89-64. Donte Wright had a solid game for South Carolina State, leading both teams in scoring with 19 points on 5-for-13 shooting. UCF’s offensive rebounding percentage was their largest strength over South Carolina State. The Knights had a rate of 29.0 (below their season average of 32.1), while the Bulldogs posted a mark of 19.4 (below their season average of 29.6).
The last time the Wildcats played, they were blown out by the Washington State Cougars, 86-58. Soufiyane Diakite led Bethune-Cookman in scoring with 16 points on 8-for-11 shooting. Washington State did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (19-22; 86.4 percent). Bethune-Cookman, on the other hand, held the Cougars to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.2 (below the 31.5 mark opponents have averaged against Bethune-Cookman this season).
There could be a fair amount of transition action in this contest that showcases two of the NCAA’s more fast-breaking teams. Bethune-Cookman ranks 15th in possessions per game (76.3) and South Carolina State is 35th (74.8).
Wright has taken his game to another level over the last five games for South Carolina State, averaging 19.2 points and 1.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Bulldogs won the sole contest last season, 78-74. The Bulldogs dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.295 and a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 34.2. The Wildcats were 0.206 and 26.3, respectively, for those same stats.
South Carolina State Bulldogs at Bethune-Cookman Wildcats Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – South Carolina State, ATS Winner – South Carolina State, O/U – Under
- The Wildcats average 13.1 assists per game, which ranks 160th in the NCAA. The Bulldogs rank 232nd in assists allowed per game (17.1).
- Bethune-Cookman averages 6.4 steals per game, which ranks 103rd in the NCAA. South Carolina State ranks 136th in steals allowed per game (7.1).
- Bethune-Cookman ranks 29th in rebounds per game (40.5) while South Carolina State ranks 225th in rebounds allowed per game (38.8).
- The Wildcats rank 59th in three pointers allowed per game (20.1) while the Bulldogs rank 232nd (25.1).
- Bethune-Cookman ranks 61st in blocks per game (4.4) while South Carolina State ranks 148th in blocks allowed per game (4.7).
- The Wildcats average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 18.4, up from 4.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 74.8 points per game (3.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 86.4 points per game (matching their season average).