The South Carolina Gamecocks (13-12, 4-8 SEC) travel to Thompson-Boling Arena to clash against the No. 18 Tennessee Volunteers (18-6, 8-4 SEC). The Gamecocks look to snap their five-game losing streak. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 136 points with Tennessee opening as a 12.5-point favorite. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
South Carolina Gamecocks at Tennessee Volunteers ATS Preview
The last time the Gamecocks played, they lost big to the Florida Gators, 65-41. South Carolina’s Chris Silva had 10 points, five rebounds and five blocks in the contest. Florida had an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.9 (above their season average of 29.0). South Carolina, on the other hand, forced the Gators into a turnover percentage of 18.9 (above their season average of 12.6).
The Volunteers are hoping for a better outcome after their 78-50 loss to the Alabama Crimson Tide in their last matchup. Grant Williams was Tennessee’s high scorer with 16 points on 5-for-12 shooting. Alabama had an effective field goal percentage of 0.616 (above their season average of 0.517). Tennessee, meanwhile, did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (14-20; 70.0 percent).
When considering effective field goal percentage, Tennessee should have a considerable advantage. The Volunteers defense ranks 45th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.474), while the South Carolina offense is ranked 338th in effective field goal percentage (0.454). Additionally, the Gamecocks rank 46th in offensive rebounding percentage (33.9 percent), while the Volunteers rank 278th in defensive rebounding percentage (68.7 percent).
Of South Carolina’s 24 games that accepted bets, 12 have finished under the O/U total, while 12 of Tennessee’s 21 games have finished under the projected point total. The Volunteers come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 18-6 SU and 14-8 ATS, while the Gamecocks are 13-12 SU and 9-14-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 133 points, just under the projected point total of 138. The Volunteers won 70-63, covering as 4-point favorites. Tennessee did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (19-24; 79.2 percent). South Carolina, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (41.7 vs. 20.0). Lamonte Turner scored a game-high 25 points.
South Carolina Gamecocks at Tennessee Volunteers Free Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Tennessee, ATS Winner – Tennessee, O/U – Under
- The Gamecocks rank 35th in three pointers allowed per game (19.1) while the Volunteers rank 76th (20.3).
- South Carolina averages 37.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 92nd in the NCAA. Tennessee ranks 129th in rebounds allowed per game (34.4).
- Tennessee is 5-5 ATS at home, while South Carolina is 5-7-1 ATS on the road.
- The Gamecocks have 8 unders and 5 overs in 13 road games.
- The Volunteers have 5 unders and 4 overs in 10 home games.
- Tennessee ranks 27th in blocks per game (4.9) while South Carolina ranks 194th in blocks allowed per game (5.4).
- The Volunteers rank 34th in assists per game (16.5) while the Gamecocks rank 190th (12.7).
- Tennessee ranks 86th in steals per game (6.8) while South Carolina ranks 199th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- Tennessee is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, South Carolina is 0-5 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Volunteers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.6, up from 8.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Gamecocks have scored an average of 61.0 points per game (8.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 76.0 points per game (8.1 above their season average).