The Arkansas Razorbacks (15-8, 4-6 SEC) welcome the South Carolina Gamecocks (13-10, 4-6 SEC) in a matchup that pits phenomenal offense against exceptional defense. Arkansas is a 7.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 149.5 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 6, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
South Carolina Gamecocks vs. Arkansas Razorbacks Free Preview
In the Gamecocks’ last game, they lost big to the Texas A&M Aggies, 83-60. Chris Silva had a solid performance for South Carolina, contributing 12 points and eight rebounds. Texas A&M had an effective field goal percentage of 0.591 (above their season average of 0.511). South Carolina, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 43.1 (above their season average of 34.4).
The Razorbacks are hoping for a better outcome after their 94-86 loss to the LSU Tigers in their last matchup. Daryl Macon led Arkansas in scoring with 22 points on 7-for-12 shooting. LSU did a terrific job of converting from the charity stripe (21-23; 91.3 percent). Arkansas, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.4 (above their season average of 28.3).
The game should be a matchup of strength against strength as the high-octane offense of Arkansas (33rd in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 114.2) takes on the top-notch defense of South Carolina (60th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 97.9). Also, the Gamecocks rank 30th in offensive rebounding percentage (34.9 percent), while the Razorbacks rank 269th in defensive rebounding percentage (68.8 percent).
Of South Carolina’s 22 games with betting action, 11 have finished over the O/U total, while 13 of Arkansas 23 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Razorbacks have a significant advantage. They are 15-8 SU and 10-13 ATS, while the Gamecocks are 13-10 SU and 9-12-1 ATS.
Macon has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Arkansas, averaging 20.0 points and 3.6 assists per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Razorbacks won the sole contest played against each other last season, 83-76. The Razorbacks played a nearly flawless game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.286 and a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.598. For those same stats, the Gamecocks were 0.215 and 0.477, respectively.
South Carolina Gamecocks at Arkansas Razorbacks Free Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – South Carolina, ATS Winner – South Carolina, O/U – Over
- The Gamecocks rank 44th in assists allowed per game (11.4) while the Razorbacks rank 179th (14.0).
- South Carolina ranks 73rd in rebounds per game (37.7) while Arkansas ranks 177th in rebounds allowed per game (35.7).
- South Carolina is 5-6-1 ATS on the road, while Arkansas is 6-6 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 8 of the Razorbacks 12 home games, while 7 of the Gamecocks 12 road games have gone under.
- South Carolina ranks 38th in three pointers allowed per game (19.3) while Arkansas ranks 238th (24.3).
- The Razorbacks rank 14th in steals allowed per game (4.7) while the Gamecocks rank 196th (7.4).
- Arkansas averages 4.6 blocks per game, which ranks 35th in the NCAA. South Carolina ranks 190th in blocks allowed per game (5.1).
- Arkansas is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, South Carolina is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Razorbacks have been outscored by an average of 2.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Arkansas has defeated opponents by an average of 6.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Gamecocks have scored an average of 67.8 points per game (2.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.2 points per game (7.8 above their season average).