SEC foes will collide when the Alabama Crimson Tide (9-6, 1-2 SEC) challenge the South Carolina Gamecocks (10-5, 1-2 SEC) at Coleman Coliseum. Alabama opened as a 5.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 145.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018, and it can be seen on SEC Network.
South Carolina Gamecocks at Alabama Crimson Tide ATS Preview
In the Gamecocks last matchup, they beat the Vanderbilt Commodores, 71-60. Chris Silva was the top scorer from either team with 27 points on 9-for-15 shooting. South Carolina played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.463 (above their season average of 0.264) and a turnover percentage of 14.4 (better than their season average of 17.5). Vanderbilt was 0.259 and 23.2, respectively, for those same stats.
The Crimson Tide are trying to rebound after their 65-46 loss to the Georgia Bulldogs in their last game. Collin Sexton was Alabama’s leading scorer with 23 points on 9-for-16 shooting. Georgia out-rebounded Alabama. The Bulldogs had more offensive rebounds (14 vs. six), defensive rebounds (35 vs. 25) and total rebounds (49 vs. 31).
When looking at effective field goal percentage, Alabama should have a noteworthy advantage. The Crimson Tide defense ranks 49th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.465), while the South Carolina offense is ranked 289th in effective field goal percentage (0.483). ,
Of South Carolina’s 14 games with betting action, seven have finished under the projected point total, while 7 of Alabama’s 13 games have finished under the O/U total. The Gamecocks have the clear advantage straight up (SU) (10-5 vs. 9-6), but both teams have the same against the spread (ATS) record (6-7-1).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after the Crimson Tide won both matchups last season. In the last contest, Alabama won 64-53. The Crimson Tide dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 37.5 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.500. For those same stats, the Gamecocks put up marks of 18.9 and 0.408, respectively.
South Carolina Gamecocks at Alabama Crimson Tide Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Alabama, ATS Winner – South Carolina, O/U – Under
- The Gamecocks rank 36th in assists allowed per game (11.2) while the Crimson Tide rank 70th (12.3).
- South Carolina is 3-4-1 ATS on the road, while Alabama is 2-3-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 5 of the Gamecocks 8 road games, while 4 of the Crimson Tide’s 6 home games have gone under.
- South Carolina ranks 48th in rebounds allowed per game (32.1) while Alabama ranks 199th (37.3).
- The Crimson Tide average 6.3 blocks per game, which ranks ninth in the NCAA. The Gamecocks rank 129th in blocks allowed per game (4.3).
- Alabama averages 6.9 steals per game, which ranks 80th in the nation. South Carolina ranks 157th in steals allowed per game (7.8).
- Alabama is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, South Carolina is 1-3 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over.
- The Crimson Tide have been outscored by an average of 2.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Alabama has defeated opponents by an average of 4.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Gamecocks have scored an average of 66.0 points per game (5.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 64.4 points per game (0.5 below their season average).