The SIUE Cougars (2-6) will be at home in Sam M. Vadalabene Center when they go head-to-head against the South Alabama Jaguars (5-4). Neither team is favored and the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 143 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 10, 2017.
South Alabama Jaguars vs. SIUE Cougars Free Preview
In the Jaguars last outing, they got blown out by the FIU Golden Panthers, 87-58. With 16 points on 6-for-10 shooting, Josh Ajayi was South Alabama’s high scorer. FIU’s 2.6 turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over South Alabama, who had a mark of 22.4. The Golden Panthers mark was better than their season average of 15.0, while the Jaguars was above the 18.8 mark opponents have averaged against FIU this season.
The Cougars will look to keep it rolling after edging the IUPUI Jaguars in their last outing, 82-81. With 21 points on 8-for-11 shooting, Jalen Henry led SIUE in scoring. The Cougars had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.362 (above their season average of 0.198) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.691 (above their season average of 0.436).
It could be a sloppy game for the SIUE offense. Dating back to last season, SIUE ranks 246th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.2 percent), while the pesky defense of South Alabama has forced the 60th-most turnovers in the nation (22.0 percent). ,
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games featuring South Alabama have gone under 66.7 percent of the time, while 85.7 percent of SIUE games have finished over. The Jaguars hold a substantial advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 5-4 SU and 5-1 ATS, while the Cougars are 2-6 SU and 1-6 ATS.
South Alabama Jaguars vs. SIUE Cougars Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – SIUE, ATS Winner – SIUE, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Jaguars average 7.0 steals per game, which ranks 77th in the NCAA. The Cougars rank 140th in steals allowed per game (6.5).
- SIUE ranks 163rd in rebounds per game (35.6) while South Alabama ranks 220th in rebounds allowed per game (37.4).
- South Alabama ranks 125th in three pointers attempted per game (22.3) while SIUE ranks 260th (17.6).
- The Jaguars average 3.9 blocks per game, which ranks 75th in the nation. The Cougars rank 155th in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- South Alabama ranks 186th in assists per game (12.8) while SIUE ranks 255th (10.6).