The No. 7 Wichita State Shockers (15-2, 5-0 AAC) will attempt to prolong their seven-game winning streak against the SMU Mustangs (12-6, 2-3 AAC) at Charles Koch Arena. Wichita State opened as a 9.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 141 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 17, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
SMU Mustangs vs. Wichita State Shockers Odds Preview,
The Mustangs lost a tough one against the Temple Owls in their last outing, 66-64. Malik Milton had a solid performance for SMU, leading both teams in scoring with 25 points on 8-for-12 shooting. Temple had an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.3 (above their season average of 28.8). SMU, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 10.1 (better than their season average of 16.3).
In the Shockers last matchup, they topped the Tulsa Golden Hurricane, 72-69. Wichita State received a boost from Conner Frankamp, who led the team in scoring with 16 points on 6-for-15 shooting. Wichita State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.197 (matching their season average) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.6 (below their season average of 34.5). Tulsa recorded marks of 0.051 and 11.8, respectively, for those same stats.
The game should be a showdown of strength against strength as the high-octane offense of Wichita State (11th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 119.8) takes on the elite defense of SMU (23rd in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 93.5). Moreover, the Mustangs, who rank 47th in offensive rebounding percentage (34.5 percent), will face a tough test against the Shockers, who rank sixth in defensive rebounding percentage (77.6 percent).
Of SMU’s 13 games that accepted bets, seven have finished under the O/U total, while 8 of Wichita State’s 15 games have finished under the O/U total. The Shockers come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 15-2 SU and 7-8 ATS, while the Mustangs are 12-6 SU and 6-7 ATS.
SMU Mustangs vs. Wichita State Shockers Prediction,
Predictions: SU Winner – Wichita State, ATS Winner – SMU, O/U – Under
- The Shockers rank 82nd in three pointers attempted per game (23.9) while the Mustangs rank 152nd in three pointers allowed per game (22.6).
- Wichita State ranks 42nd in blocks per game (4.7) while SMU ranks 82nd (3.8).
- Wichita State ranks fourth in rebounds per game (42.0) while SMU ranks 173rd (35.2).
- The Mustangs rank 28th in steals per game (8.0) while the Shockers rank 188th (4.8).
- Wichita State ranks fifth in assists per game (19.0) while SMU ranks 78th in assists allowed per game (12.4).
- The Shockers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 20.8, up from 16.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mustangs have scored an average of 65.0 points per game (8.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 61.0 points per game (0.1 below their season average).