AAC foes will collide when the Tulsa Golden Hurricane (11-10, 4-5 AAC) meet the SMU Mustangs (15-7, 5-4 AAC) at Donald Reynolds Center. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 136 points with SMU opening as a 3-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 1, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
SMU Mustangs vs. Tulsa Golden Hurricane Odds Preview
In the Mustangs’ last contest, they easily got past the East Carolina Pirates, 86-61. Jimmy Whitt was the game’s leading scorer with 20 points on 9-for-11 shooting. SMU dominated every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.127 (matching their season average) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.718 (above their season average of 0.540). For those same stats, East Carolina had marks of 0.071 and 0.509, respectively.
The Golden Hurricane are hoping for a better outcome after their 90-71 loss to the No. 17 Wichita State Shockers in their last game. Corey Henderson Jr. was the top scorer from either team with 28 points on 7-for-15 shooting. Wichita State had a turnover percentage of 10.3 (better than their season average of 14.7). Tulsa, meanwhile, did an excellent job of making free throws (15-18; 83.3 percent).
The offense of Tulsa (161st in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 106.0) will square off against the elite defense of SMU (35th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 96.1). The Mustangs figure to have the edge on that end of the court.
Of SMU’s 17 games that accepted bets, nine have finished under the O/U total, while 10 of Tulsa’s 18 games have finished over the projected point total. The Mustangs hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (15-7 vs. 11-10), but the Golden Hurricane have the better against the spread (ATS) record (11-7 vs. 8-9).
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Mustangs won both contests last season. In the most recent contest, SMU won 93-70. SMU had a much better turnover percentage (8.2 vs. 14.1). Tulsa, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (40.5 vs. 23.1).
SMU Mustangs at Tulsa Golden Hurricane Odds Prediction
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – SMU, ATS Winner – Tulsa, O/U – Under
- The Mustangs rank 177th in three pointers attempted per game (21.3) while the Golden Hurricane rank 273rd in three pointers allowed per game (27.5).
- SMU averages 3.5 blocks per game, which ranks 98th in the nation. Tulsa ranks 156th in blocks allowed per game (4.2).
- On the road, SMU is 2-6 ATS with 4 overs and 4 unders.
- At home, Tulsa is 5-2 ATS with 4 overs and 3 unders.
- SMU ranks 35th in steals per game (7.7) while Tulsa ranks 217th (4.6).
- The Mustangs rank 32nd in rebounds allowed per game (31.5) while the Golden Hurricane rank 208th (36.8).
- SMU ranks 43rd in assists per game (16.2) while Tulsa ranks 209th (12.3).
- Tulsa is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, SMU is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Golden Hurricane have been outscored by an average of 8.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Tulsa has defeated opponents by an average of 0.8 points.
- During their last five games, the Mustangs have scored an average of 71.6 points per game (1.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 66.0 points per game (4.0 above their season average).