The Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles (18-13, 10-8 OVC) and the SIUE Cougars (9-20, 5-13 OVC) face off in the Ohio Valley Conference Tourney at Ford Center. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 150 points with Tennessee Tech set as a 6-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 28, 2018.
SIUE Cougars vs. Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles Free Preview
The Cougars fell to the Eastern Illinois Panthers in their last matchup, 68-56. Keenan Simmons had a solid game for SIUE, putting up 12 points and 11 rebounds. Eastern Illinois did a great job of making free throws (14-19; 73.7 percent). SIUE, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 9.6 (better than their season average of 17.2).
The last time the Golden Eagles played, they were beaten by the Jacksonville State Gamecocks, 66-57. With 14 points and six rebounds, Shaq Calhoun put together a solid performance for Tennessee Tech. Jacksonville State’s 0.300 free throw rate was their largest advantage over Tennessee Tech, who had a mark of 0.197. The Gamecocks’ mark was above their season average of 0.217, while the Golden Eagles’ was below their season average of 0.250.
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of SIUE. SIUE ranks 256th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.6 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Tennessee Tech forces the 58th-most turnovers in the NCAA (21.1 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. SIUE games have finished over 59.3 percent of the time, while games involving Tennessee Tech have gone under 66.7 percent of the time. The Golden Eagles have the clear advantage straight up (SU) (18-13 vs. 9-20), but the Cougars have been superior against the spread (ATS) (11-16 vs. 11-15-1).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 135 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 147.5. The Golden Eagles won 68-67, but were unable to cover as 3-point favorites. Tennessee Tech had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (27.5 vs. 19.5). SIUE, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (11.1 vs. 14.8). David McFarland finished with 13 points and 12 rebounds.
SIUE Cougars vs. Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles ATS Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – SIUE, ATS Winner – SIUE, O/U – Under
- The Cougars average 21.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 161st in the nation. The Golden Eagles rank 191st in three pointers allowed per game (22.9).
- Tennessee Tech ranks 23rd in steals per game (7.8) while SIUE ranks 223rd (4.9).
- The Golden Eagles average 14.7 assists per game, which ranks 96th in the nation. The Cougars rank 205th in assists allowed per game (14.5).
- Tennessee Tech ranks 140th in rebounds per game (35.7) while SIUE ranks 226th (33.6).
- Tennessee Tech is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, SIUE is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Golden Eagles have been outscored by an average of 2.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Tennessee Tech has defeated opponents by an average of 0.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 69.6 points per game (0.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.4 points per game (4.0 below their season average).