Big East foes will collide when the Butler Bulldogs (12-4, 2-1 Big East) go head-to-head against the No. 21 Seton Hall Pirates (13-2, 2-0 Big East) at Hinkle Fieldhouse. Tip-off is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018.
Seton Hall Pirates vs. Butler Bulldogs Betting Preview
In the Pirates last outing, they were victorious over the St. John’s Red Storm, 75-70. With 12 points, 12 rebounds and six assists, Seton Hall’s Angel Delgado had a good game. Seton Hall dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.246 (above their season average of 0.239) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 42.1 (above their season average of 37.1). For those same stats, St. John’s recorded marks of 0.119 and 29.4, respectively.
The Bulldogs are trying to rebound after their 86-79 loss to the No. 5 Xavier Musketeers in their last contest. Kamar Baldwin was the games high scorer with 28 points on 11-for-24 shooting. Xavier had a free throw rate of 0.400 (above their season average of 0.344). Butler, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 5.6 (better than their season average of 15.2).
Points at the line could be scarce for Butler in this matchup. The Bulldogs currently rank 306th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.190, while Seton Hall ranks 90th in FTA rate allowed (0.201). Also, the Pirates, who rank 15th in offensive rebounding percentage (37.4 percent), will square off against the Bulldogs, who rank 40th in defensive rebounding percentage (75.3 percent).
The Pirates Delgado (14.8 rebounds, 14.6 points and 3.2 assists) and Khadeen Carrington (16.0 points, 3.4 assists and 1.2 steals) have been playing at a high level over their last five games. Meanwhile, the Bulldogs have their own duo of hot players. Kelan Martin has averaged 21.6 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.6 steals, while Baldwin has averaged 16.8 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 2.0 steals.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last contest, the Pirates won 70-64. Seton Hall had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (38.5 vs. 24.2). Butler, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (11.6 vs. 19.4).
Seton Hall Pirates vs. Butler Bulldogs Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Butler, ATS Winner – Butler, O/U – Under
- The Pirates rank 45th in assists allowed per game (11.3) while the Bulldogs rank 64th (11.8).
- Seton Hall ranks 43rd in rebounds per game (39.6) while Butler ranks 152nd (35.7).
- The Bulldogs rank 40th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while the Pirates rank 87th (6.2).
- Seton Hall averages 4.0 blocks per game, which ranks 73rd in the NCAA. Butler ranks 102nd in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- The Bulldogs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 16.0, up from 9.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pirates have scored an average of 78.6 points per game (2.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.0 points per game (2.5 above their season average).