The No. 13 Seton Hall Pirates (14-2, 3-0 Big East) travel to BMO Harris Bradley Center to challenge the Marquette Golden Eagles (11-5, 2-2 Big East). The Pirates look to extend their five-game winning streak. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 163 points with neither team favored. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Seton Hall Pirates vs. Marquette Golden Eagles Odds Preview
The last time the Pirates played, they barely escaped the Butler Bulldogs, 90-87. With 28 points, 15 rebounds and six assists, Seton Hall’s Angel Delgado had a solid game. The Pirates, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.540, had a solid mark of 0.591 and had a free throw rate of 0.455 (above their season average of 0.239).
The Golden Eagles are hoping for a better outcome after their 100-90 loss to the No. 3 Villanova Wildcats in their last outing. Markus Howard was the games leading scorer with 37 points on 13-for-27 shooting. Villanova did a great job of making free throws (27-32; 84.4 percent). Marquette, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 39.0 (above their season average of 28.5).
It might turn into a shootout as a pair of the nations best offenses square off. Marquette ranks 20th with 118.2 points per 100 possessions and Seton Hall is 54th (113.6).
Both of these teams have a tendency to go over the projected point total. Games involving Seton Hall have gone over 64.3 percent of the time, while Marquette games have gone over 57.1 percent of the time. The Pirates come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 14-2 SU and 8-8 ATS, while the Golden Eagles are 11-5 SU and 7-7-1 ATS.
Delgado has been excellent as of late for Seton Hall, averaging 15.0 rebounds, 13.4 points and 4.0 assists over the last five games.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Pirates won two out of three matchups played against each other last season. In the last matchup, Seton Hall won 82-76. Seton Hall had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (35.3 vs. 21.6). Marquette, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (12.9 vs. 13.4).
Seton Hall Pirates vs. Marquette Golden Eagles Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Seton Hall, ATS Winner – Seton Hall, O/U – Over
- The Golden Eagles rank 38th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while the Pirates rank 96th (3.7).
- Marquette ranks 42nd in steals allowed per game (5.4) while Seton Hall ranks 73rd (6.1).
- Seton Hall is 4-2 ATS on the road with 4 overs and 2 unders.
- At home, Marquette is 2-6-1 ATS with 5 unders and 3 overs.
- Seton Hall ranks 47th in rebounds per game (39.0) while Marquette ranks 239th (32.1).
- The Golden Eagles rank 13th in three pointers attempted per game (29.3) while the Pirates rank 193rd (19.6).
- Seton Hall ranks 46th in assists allowed per game (11.6) while Marquette ranks 157th (14.3).
- Marquette is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Seton Hall is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Golden Eagles average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.2, up from 7.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pirates have scored an average of 83.6 points per game (2.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 74.2 points per game (4.6 above their season average).