The No. 2 Michigan State Spartans (12-1) will attempt to lengthen their 11-game winning streak against the struggling Savannah State Tigers (3-11) at Jack Breslin Student Events Center. Tip-off is set for 12 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 31, 2017.
Savannah State Tigers vs. Michigan State Spartans Free Preview
In the Tigers last outing, they got blown out by the No. 13 Virginia Cavaliers, 78-47. With 22 points on 7-for-12 shooting, John Grant Jr. was the games leading scorer. Virginia’s free throw rate was their largest advantage over Savannah State. The Cavaliers had a rate of 0.224 (above their season average of 0.220), while the Tigers posted a mark of 0.070 (below their season average of 0.196).
The Spartans come in on a high note after thoroughly outplaying the Cleveland State Vikings in their last matchup, 111-61. Nick Ward played a pivotal role for Michigan State with 22 points and 14 rebounds. Michigan State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 62.5 (above their season average of 39.2) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.770 (above their season average of 0.581). For those same stats, Cleveland State put up marks of 17.5 and 0.422, respectively.
The prolific offense of Michigan State (fourth in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 123.4) will square off against the bottom-tier defense of Savannah State (340th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 115.7). The Spartans figure to have the advantage on that end of the court.
Michigan State is 12-1 SU and 9-5 ATS. Of the Spartans 12 games with betting action, seven have finished over the total.
Miles Bridges has really been playing well over the last five games for Michigan State, averaging 20.0 points and 7.4 rebounds per game.
Savannah State Tigers at Michigan State Spartans Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Michigan State, O/U – Under
- The Tigers rank first in three pointers attempted per game (40.2) while the Spartans rank 166th (21.1).
- Michigan State averages 8.6 blocks per game, which ranks first in the NCAA. Savannah State ranks 164th in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- Michigan State ranks fifth in rebounds per game (43.4) while Savannah State ranks 264th in rebounds allowed per game (50.6).
- The Spartans rank second in assists per game (20.9) while the Tigers rank 241st in assists allowed per game (23.2).
- Savannah State ranks seventh in steals per game (10.2) while Michigan State ranks 188th (4.8).
- The Spartans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 34.4, up from 25.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 75.0 points per game (4.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 103.8 points per game (7.0 above their season average).