The Savannah State Tigers (3-10) will try to put an end to their five-game road losing streak when they square off against the No. 13 Virginia Cavaliers (9-1), who look to extend their six-game home winning streak. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 19, 2017.
Savannah State Tigers at Virginia Cavaliers Free Preview
In the Tigers last outing, they got blown out by the No. 21 Baylor Bears, 118-86. With 22 points on 7-for-18 shooting, Dexter McClanahan was Savannah State’s leading scorer. Baylor did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (22-31; 71.0 percent). Savannah State, meanwhile, forced the Bears into a turnover percentage of 17.9 (above their season average of 14.4).
The Cavaliers will look to keep it rolling after thoroughly outplaying the Davidson Wildcats in their last contest, 80-60. Virginia received a boost from Nigel Johnson, who was the games leading scorer with 22 points on 7-for-10 shooting. Virginia played a perfect game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.250 (above their season average of 0.217) and a turnover percentage of 8.5 (better than their season average of 13.8). Davidson was 0.080 and 19.7, respectively, for those same stats.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, Virginia figures to have a considerable advantage. The Cavaliers defense ranks 42nd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.440), while the Savannah State offense is ranked 315th in effective field goal percentage (0.466). It will also be a tale of two paces as the fast-breaking Tigers rank first in possessions per game, while the more methodical Cavaliers rank 345th.
Devon Hall has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Virginia, averaging 13.4 points per game.
Savannah State Tigers vs. Virginia Cavaliers Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Savannah State, ATS Winner – Savannah State, O/U – Over
- The Tigers rank fifth in steals per game (10.4) while the Cavaliers rank 135th (7.0).
- Virginia ranks 37th in blocks allowed per game (2.1) while Savannah State ranks 164th (5.1).
- Virginia ranks 11th in rebounds allowed per game (29.6) while Savannah State ranks 260th (51.3).
- The Tigers rank first in three pointers attempted per game (40.5) while the Cavaliers rank 237th (18.4).
- Virginia ranks seventh in assists allowed per game (9.1) while Savannah State ranks 229th (23.6).
- The Cavaliers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.2, down from 17.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 85.2 points per game (3.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 100.2 points per game (2.0 above their season average).