WCC foes will clash when the No. 20 Gonzaga Bulldogs (11-3, 1-0 WCC) go head-to-head against the Santa Clara Broncos (4-9, 1-0 WCC) at McCarthey Athletic Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 30, 2017.
Santa Clara Broncos vs. Gonzaga Bulldogs Free Preview
The last time the Broncos played, they were victorious over the Pepperdine Waves, 72-65. With 15 points and six assists, KJ Feagin put together a good game for Santa Clara. The Broncos forced 16 turnovers, while the Waves had a free throw rate of 0.229 (below their season average of 0.270).
The Bulldogs come in on a high note after dismantling the Pacific Tigers in their last outing, 81-48. Josh Perkins was a key piece for Gonzaga with 16 points and five assists. Gonzaga played a flawless game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 42.1 (above their season average of 35.2) and a turnover percentage of 8.8 (better than their season average of 16.2). For those same stats, Pacific was 25.0 and 13.9, respectively.
Gonzaga could dominate on the offensive side of the ball as their productive offense squares off against one of the NCAA’s worst defenses. The Bulldogs rank 11th in offensive efficiency, while Santa Clara ranks 280th in defensive efficiency. Furthermore, the Broncos rank 26th in turnover percentage (16.0 percent), while the Bulldogs rank 251st in opponents turnover percentage (18.2 percent).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Bulldogs won all three games played against each other last season. In the last contest, Gonzaga won 77-68. One of Gonzaga’s biggest advantages was their ability to convert at the free throw line. They were 16-20 (80.0 percent), while the Broncos were just 7-11 (63.6 percent).
Santa Clara Broncos at Gonzaga Bulldogs Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Santa Clara, ATS Winner – Santa Clara, O/U – Over
- The Bulldogs rank 28th in blocks allowed per game (2.4) while the Broncos rank 107th (3.6).
- Santa Clara ranks 22nd in steals allowed per game (4.9) while Gonzaga ranks 62nd (5.8).
- Gonzaga ranks 16th in rebounds per game (41.2) while Santa Clara ranks 263rd (29.5).
- The Bulldogs average 17.0 assists per game, which ranks 35th in the NCAA. The Broncos rank 227th in assists allowed per game (16.8).
- Santa Clara ranks 14th in three pointers allowed per game (17.2) while Gonzaga ranks 146th (22.4).
- The Bulldogs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 18.8, up from 16.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Broncos have scored an average of 69.2 points per game (3.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 77.0 points per game (4.3 above their season average).