The Wyoming Cowboys (19-12, 10-8 MWC) and the San Jose State Spartans (4-25, 1-17 MWC) square off in the Mountain West Conference Tournament at Thomas & Mack Center. Wyoming is a 13.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 148 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 7, 2018.
San Jose State Spartans vs. Wyoming Cowboys Free Preview
The Spartans got blown out by the Air Force Falcons in their last outing, 83-61. With 18 points on 8-for-17 shooting, Keith Fisher III led San Jose State in scoring. Air Force’s offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest advantage over San Jose State. The Falcons had a rate of 25.0 (below their season average of 27.7), while the Spartans posted a mark of 15.0 (below their season average of 28.9).
The last time the Cowboys played, they were thoroughly outplayed by the Boise State Broncos, 95-87. Justin James led Wyoming in scoring with 24 points on 8-for-17 shooting. Boise State did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (27-34; 79.4 percent). Wyoming, meanwhile, was lights out from beyond the arc (14-29; 48.3 percent).
It could be a tough game for Wyoming on the offensive glass. The Cowboys rank 349th in offensive rebounding percentage (19.0 percent), while San Jose State ranks 36th in defensive rebounding percentage (75.3 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. San Jose State games have gone under 60.7 percent of the time, while games including Wyoming have gone over 58.6 percent of the time. The Cowboys have the better straight up (SU) record (19-12 vs. 4-25), but the Spartans hold the substantial advantage against the spread (ATS) (14-14 vs. 13-15-1).
These two teams have already met twice this year, with the Cowboys winning both. Hayden Dalton recorded 22 points and 10 rebounds in the most recent game, in which the Cowboys defeated the Spartans 89-75 but did not cover as 18-point favorites. The two teams combined to put up 164 points, which was 19.5 points above the projected point total of 144.5 points. Wyoming had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.623 vs. 0.500). San Jose State, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (22.9 vs. 15.2).
San Jose State Spartans vs. Wyoming Cowboys ATS Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Wyoming, ATS Winner – San Jose State, O/U – Over
- The Cowboys rank 97th in steals per game (6.5) while the Spartans rank 244th (4.6).
- Wyoming ranks 24th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while San Jose State ranks 127th (3.4).
- Wyoming ranks 23rd in three pointers attempted per game (26.7) while San Jose State ranks 306th in three pointers allowed per game (29.0).
- The Spartans rank 47th in rebounds allowed per game (32.4) while the Cowboys rank 287th (39.4).
- Wyoming averages 15.4 assists per game, which ranks 55th in the nation. San Jose State ranks 265th in assists allowed per game (16.2).
- Wyoming is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Jose State is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Cowboys’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.6, up from 1.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 65.2 points per game (0.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 77.0 points per game (1.6 above their season average).