The San Jose State Spartans (2-8), who are currently riding a five-game losing streak, will attempt to get back in the win column when they visit Leavey Center to take on the Santa Clara Broncos (3-8). Santa Clara opened as an 8-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 130 points. Action begins at 10 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 21, 2017.
San Jose State Spartans at Santa Clara Broncos ATS Preview
In the Spartans last outing, they were beaten by the South Dakota Coyotes, 76-62. San Jose State’s Brandon Mitchell had a good performance, leading the team in scoring with 17 points on 6-for-6 shooting. South Dakota did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (19-25; 76.0 percent). San Jose State, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (34.4 vs. 27.3).
The Broncos are hoping for a better outcome after their 76-68 loss to the Valparaiso Crusaders in their last contest. With 22 points and seven rebounds, Santa Clara’s Henry Caruso played well. Valparaiso had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (29.6 vs. 19.4). Santa Clara, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.444 (above their season average of 0.226).
It could be a tough game for Santa Clara on the offensive glass. The Broncos currently rank 325th in offensive rebounding percentage (23.1 percent), while San Jose State ranks fourth in defensive rebounding percentage (78.7 percent).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games featuring San Jose State have gone under 77.8 percent of the time, while Santa Clara games have gone over 62.5 percent of the time. The Broncos have the superior straight up (SU) record (3-8 vs. 2-8), but the Spartans hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (4-5 vs. 1-7).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Spartans won the lone contest played against each other last season, 55-40. The Spartans dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.341 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.500. For those same stats, the Broncos had marks of 0.217 and 0.326, respectively.
San Jose State Spartans vs. Santa Clara Broncos Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – San Jose State, ATS Winner – San Jose State, O/U – Under
- The Broncos rank 26th in steals allowed per game (5.0) while the Spartans rank 138th (7.0).
- San Jose State is 2-3 ATS on the road with 4 unders and 1 over.
- Santa Clara is 1-4 ATS at home with 4 overs and 1 under.
- Santa Clara ranks 81st in three pointers attempted per game (24.3) while San Jose State ranks 278th (14.7).
- The Spartans rank 85th in rebounds per game (37.9) while the Broncos rank 257th (29.5).
- San Jose State ranks 106th in assists allowed per game (13.0) while Santa Clara ranks 226th (17.3).
- Santa Clara is 1-3 ATS with 3 overs and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Jose State is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Broncos have outscored opponents by an average of 2.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Santa Clara has scored an equal number of points as their opponents.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 62.0 points per game (4.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.8 points per game (1.9 above their season average).