MWC foes will collide when the San Diego State Aztecs (10-4, 2-1 MWC) take on the San Jose State Spartans (3-12, 0-4 MWC) at Viejas Arena at Aztec Bowl. San Diego State is a 22-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 135.5 points. Action gets underway at 11 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
San Jose State Spartans vs. San Diego State Aztecs Odds Preview
The last time the Spartans played, they were blown out by the New Mexico Lobos, 80-47. With 17 points on 6-for-19 shooting, Ryan Welage was the top scorer from either team. New Mexico had a turnover percentage of 8.1 (better than their season average of 15.2). San Jose State, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.364 (above their season average of 0.270).
The Aztecs hope to maintain momentum after topping the Colorado State Rams in their last contest, 77-68. San Diego State rallied around Jalen McDaniels, who was the teams leading scorer with 19 points on 8-for-11 shooting. San Diego State played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 44.1 (above their season average of 32.2) and a free throw rate of 0.207 (below their season average of 0.275). Colorado State was 30.2 and 0.161, respectively, for those same stats.
When considering effective field goal percentage, San Diego State figures to have a significant edge. The Aztecs defense ranks 48th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.464), while the San Jose State offense is ranked 269th in effective field goal percentage (0.489).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games involving San Jose State have gone under 64.3 percent of the time, while San Diego State games have gone over 58.3 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Aztecs have a clear advantage. They are 10-4 SU and 8-4 ATS, while the Spartans are 3-12 SU and 6-8 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the last contest, the Spartans won 76-71. The Spartans dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.404 and a turnover percentage of 12.7. The Aztecs were 0.209 and 16.4, respectively, for those same stats.
San Jose State Spartans vs. San Diego State Aztecs Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – San Diego State, ATS Winner – San Jose State, O/U – Under
- The Spartans rank 12th in rebounds allowed per game (30.3) while the Aztecs rank 90th (33.6).
- San Diego State ranks 121st in assists per game (14.1) while San Jose State ranks 163rd in assists allowed per game (14.4).
- San Diego State is 4-1 ATS at home, while San Jose State is 3-5 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 4 of the Aztecs 5 home games, while 5 of the Spartans 8 road games have gone under.
- San Diego State ranks 129th in three pointers attempted per game (22.1) while San Jose State ranks 248th (15.4).
- The Aztecs average 6.9 steals per game, which ranks 78th in the nation. The Spartans rank 163rd in steals allowed per game (8.0).
- San Jose State ranks 37th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while San Diego State ranks 117th (4.1).
- San Diego State is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Jose State is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Aztecs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.4, down from 11.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 64.4 points per game (1.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.0 points per game (2.7 above their season average).