A couple of teams on winning streaks, the San Jose Sharks and the Florida Panthers collide at the BB&T Center for a cross-country showdown. The match will get underway at 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday, December 1, and it can be viewed live on NBC Sports California.
San Jose Sharks at Florida Panthers Odds
Florida (-105) is entering this one as the underdog to Florida (-115), and the Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 6 goals (-125 under, +105 over).
San Jose is 13-10 straight up (SU) and has lost 0.8 units for moneyline bettors thus far. 17 of its contests have gone under the total, while five have gone over and just one has pushed. This 2017-18 Sharks team is 6-3 SU on the road.
San Jose has converted on just 17.1 percent of its power play chances this season, a figure that’s ranked 25th in the NHL. Having said that, it has the second-best penalty kill in the league, and the teams successfully killed off a whopping 88.5 percent of all penalties.
For the team as a whole, San Jose has been penalized just 3.7 times per game overall this season, and 3.0 per game over its past five outings. The team has had to stave off opponent power plays just 7.7 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Averaging 25.1 saves per game with a .930 save percentage, Martin Jones (10-7-2) has been the top option in goal for San Jose this year. If it chooses to rest him, however, San Jose may turn to Aaron Dell (3-6-1), who has a .924 save percentage and 2.06 goals against average this year.
The visiting Sharks will be led by Logan Couture and Joe Thornton. Couture (21 points) is up to 13 goals and eight assists, and has recorded two or more points five times. Thornton has four goals and 11 assists to his name (and has notched at least one point in 12 games).
On the other side of the rink, Florida is 10-14 straight up (SU) and has lost 3.9 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 24 regular season outings, 13 of its games have gone over the total, while 11 have gone under and none have pushed. It’s 5-6 SU as the home team this season.
Florida has converted on just 15.9 percent of its power play opportunities this year, a mark that’s ranked 26th in the NHL. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 27th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 75.6 percent of all penalties.
Florida players have been penalized 4.3 times per game in total this season, and 3.4 per game over their last five home outings. The team has been forced to defend opponent power plays just 7.9 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Roberto Luongo has stopped 33.3 shots per game as the primary selection in goal for Florida. Luongo has six wins, seven losses, and one overtime loss to his name and has maintained a mediocre 2.66 goals against average and a .927 save percentage this year.
Jonathan Huberdeau (eight goals, 17 assists) will lead the attack for Florida.
San Jose Sharks at Florida Panthers Betting Predictions
Predictions: SU Winner – Sharks, O/U – Under
- The under has hit in four of Florida’s last five outings.
- This game features two teams that fire the puck on goal a lot. San Jose has attempted the leagues 10th-most shots on goal (32.8) while Florida has attempted the seventh-most (34.3).
- The Panthers are 3-6 SU when they serve more penalty minutes than their opponent while the Sharks are 6-4 SU in games where they serve more minutes than the opposition.
- Florida is 2-1 in games decided by a shootout this season while San Jose is 1-1 in shootouts.
- Florida skaters have averaged 6.8 takeaways per game over its last five home games, a drop-off from its season average of 8.4 takeaways per game (ranked 9th in the league).
- San Jose skaters have created 4.8 takeaways per game over its last five road games, a drop-off from its season average of 11.6 takeaways per game (ranked second).