WCC foes will battle when the San Diego Toreros (9-3) challenge the San Francisco Dons (8-5) at Jenny Craig Pavilion. San Diego opened as a 5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 129 points. Action begins at 9 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN Full Court.
San Francisco Dons at San Diego Toreros ATS Preview
In the Dons last game, they won a close one over the Nevada Wolf Pack, 66-64. With 13 points and seven assists, San Francisco’s Frankie Ferrari played well. The Dons held the Wolf Pack to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.6 (below their season average of 27.6) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.525 (above their season average of 0.467).
The Toreros will look to keep it rolling after blowing out the Life Pacific Warriors in their last outing, 94-51. San Diego’s Isaiah Wright had a good game, finishing with 14 points, 12 assists and six rebounds. San Diego dominated every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 55.6 (above their season average of 23.0) and a turnover percentage of 8.3 (better than their season average of 18.4). For those same stats, Life Pacific was 19.4 and 13.8, respectively.
Half-court execution will be critical when a pair of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams face off. San Diego currently ranks 332nd in possessions per game (68.2) and San Francisco is 273rd (68.7).
Games including these teams tend to go under the projected point total. San Francisco games have gone under 55.6 percent of the time, while 71.4 percent of San Diego games have gone under. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Toreros have a clear advantage. They are 9-3 SU and 4-3 ATS, while the Dons are 8-5 SU and 3-6 ATS.
Tyler Williams has taken his game to another level over the last five games for San Diego, averaging 11.6 points per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Dons won both contests last season. In the most recent contest, San Francisco won 60-43. San Francisco’s effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over San Diego. The Dons had a rate of 0.559 while the Toreros posted a mark of 0.324.
San Francisco Dons vs. San Diego Toreros Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – San Diego, ATS Winner – San Diego, O/U – Under
- The Dons average 37.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 91st in the NCAA. The Toreros rank 110th in rebounds allowed per game (34.8).
- San Francisco is 1-3 ATS on the road with 4 unders and 0 overs.
- San Diego is 2-2 ATS at home with 3 unders and 1 over.
- San Francisco ranks 40th in three pointers attempted per game (26.4) while San Diego ranks 84th (25.0).
- The Toreros are 17th in the NCAA with 5.2 steals allowed per game while the Dons are 59th with 5.7 steals allowed per game.
- San Francisco ranks first in assists allowed per game (8.6) while San Diego ranks 42nd (8.8).
- San Diego is 2-1 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Francisco is 2-2 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over.
- The Toreros average margin of victory in their last five games has been 16.6, up from 10.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Dons have scored an average of 63.2 points per game (5.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 60.8 points per game (5.5 below their season average).