The San Francisco Dons (12-11, 4-6 WCC) look to put an end to the 16-game winning streak of Saint Mary’s when they travel to McKeon Pavilion to take on the No. 13 Gaels (21-2, 10-0 WCC). Saint Mary’s opened as a 14.5-point favorite, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 139.5 points. Tip-off is set for 11 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 1, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
San Francisco Dons at Saint Mary’s Gaels Betting Preview
In the Dons’ last contest, they were beaten by the No. 15 Gonzaga Bulldogs, 82-73. San Francisco’s Frankie Ferrari had a good performance, finishing with 15 points and five assists. Gonzaga did a terrific job of converting from the charity stripe (19-23; 82.6 percent). San Francisco, on the other hand, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.591 (above their season average of 0.486).
The Gaels will look to maintain momentum after defeating the Portland Pilots in their last matchup, 72-55. With 20 points on 6-for-11 shooting, Jordan Ford was the game’s leading scorer. The Gaels knocked down 12 of their 14 free throws (85.7 percent) and held the Pilots to an effective field goal percentage of 0.425 (below their season average of 0.520).
Half-court execution will be at a premium when two of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams clash. Saint Mary’s ranks 343rd in possessions per game (64.6) and San Francisco is 287th (67.5). Also, the Dons rank 296th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.203), while the Gaels rank 21st in opponents’ FTA rate (0.178).
Of San Francisco’s 19 games with betting action, 10 have finished under the O/U total, while 12 of Saint Mary’s’ 19 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Gaels have a significant advantage. They are 21-2 SU and 9-10 ATS, while the Dons are 12-11 SU and 7-12 ATS.
Ferrari has been superb over the last five games for San Francisco, averaging 16.6 points and 6.0 assists per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Gaels won both meetings last season. In the most recent contest, Saint Mary’s won 66-46. The Gaels played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.106 and an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.649. For those same stats, the Dons were 0.000 and 0.460, respectively.
San Francisco Dons at Saint Mary’s Gaels Betting Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Saint Mary’s, ATS Winner – San Francisco, O/U – Under
- The Gaels rank 29th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while the Dons rank 72nd (5.7).
- On the road, San Francisco is 4-5 ATS with 5 unders and 4 overs.
- Saint Mary’s is 3-6 ATS at home with 7 unders, 1 over and 1 push.
- San Francisco ranks 44th in three pointers attempted per game (25.8) while Saint Mary’s ranks 224th (19.5).
- The Gaels rank 23rd in assists per game (17.2) while the Dons rank 178th (12.9).
- Saint Mary’s ranks first in rebounds allowed per game (27.7) while San Francisco ranks 106th (34.0).
- Saint Mary’s is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Francisco is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Gaels’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.0, down from 14.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Dons have scored an average of 69.8 points per game (0.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 72.4 points per game (4.5 above their season average).