The No. 14 Gonzaga Bulldogs (19-4, 9-1 WCC) welcome the San Diego Toreros (15-7, 6-4 WCC) in a matchup that pits phenomenal offense against tremendous defense. Gonzaga is a 17.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 143.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 1, 2018.
San Diego Toreros vs. Gonzaga Bulldogs Betting Preview
The last time the Toreros played, they defeated the Loyola Marymount Lions, 89-82. Isaiah Pineiro was the game’s high scorer with 29 points on 10-for-14 shooting. San Diego dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.327 (above their season average of 0.287) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.692 (above their season average of 0.527). Loyola Marymount was 0.238 and 0.532, respectively, for those same stats.
The Bulldogs come in on a high note after topping the San Francisco Dons in their last game, 82-73. Gonzaga was lifted by Killian Tillie, who was the top scorer from either team with 16 points on 6-for-10 shooting. Gonzaga played a nearly perfect game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.339 (above their season average of 0.226) and a turnover percentage of 10.8 (better than their season average of 14.5). For those same stats, San Francisco put up marks of 0.145 and 19.0, respectively.
The game should be a battle of strength against strength as the productive offense of Gonzaga (fourth in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 122.8) takes on the stingy defense of San Diego (26th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 95.0). Moreover, put-back points could be tough to come by for the Toreros. They rank 303rd in the NCAA in offensive rebounding percentage at 24.7 percent, while the Bulldogs are 15th-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 76.8 percent).
Of San Diego’s 17 games that accepted bets, nine have finished under the projected point total, while 11 of Gonzaga’s 20 games have finished over the projected point total. The Bulldogs hold a substantial advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 19-4 SU and 9-11 ATS, while the Toreros are 15-7 SU and 7-9-1 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Bulldogs won both contests played against each other last season. In the last game, Gonzaga won 96-38. The Bulldogs dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 and an absurd effective field goal percentage of 0.777. For those same stats, the Toreros put up marks of 8.5 and 0.293, respectively.
San Diego Toreros vs. Gonzaga Bulldogs Free Prediction
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Gonzaga, ATS Winner – Gonzaga, O/U – Under
- The Bulldogs are 23rd in the nation with 2.4 blocks allowed per game while the Toreros are 24th with 2.5 blocks allowed per game.
- San Diego is 4-4 ATS on the road, while Gonzaga is 5-4 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 4 of the Toreros’ 8 road games, while 6 of the Bulldogs’ 9 home games have gone over.
- Gonzaga ranks 17th in rebounds per game (40.2) while San Diego ranks 215th (33.9).
- The Toreros rank eighth in three pointers allowed per game (16.0) while the Bulldogs rank 111th (21.3).
- Gonzaga ranks 25th in assists per game (17.1) while San Diego ranks 108th (14.5).
- Gonzaga is 0-5 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Diego is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Bulldogs’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.4, down from 18.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Toreros have scored an average of 67.4 points per game (3.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.0 points per game (3.5 above their season average).