A low-scoring game should be expected when the BYU Cougars (16-4, 5-2 WCC) and the San Diego Toreros (13-6, 4-3 WCC) clash at Marriott Center. BYU opened as an 11-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 130.5 points. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 20, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN Full Court.
San Diego Toreros at BYU Cougars Betting Preview
In the Toreros last contest, they fell to the Portland Pilots, 55-49. Isaiah Pineiro had a solid performance for San Diego, leading both teams in scoring with 26 points on 12-for-18 shooting. Portland had a free throw rate of 0.238 (above their season average of 0.217). San Diego, meanwhile, forced the Pilots into a turnover percentage of 25.9 (above their season average of 15.3).
The Cougars come in on a high note after beating the Loyola Marymount Lions in their last contest, 82-67. BYU received a boost from Elijah Bryant, who was the games leading scorer with 29 points on 8-for-12 shooting. BYU dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.548 (above their season average of 0.307) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.702 (above their season average of 0.556). For those same stats, Loyola Marymount put up marks of 0.182 and 0.518, respectively.
This showdown figures to be low-scoring as a pair of the nations premier defenses go head-to-head. BYU ranks 53rd in defensive efficiency (96.5) and San Diego is 20th (93.0). Also, second chance points could be tough to come by for the Toreros. They rank 294th in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage at 25.0 percent, while the Cougars are fourth-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 78.1 percent).
Bryant has been playing at a high level over the last five games for BYU, averaging 20.2 points and 6.2 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the last contest, the Cougars won 82-70. The Cougars dominated every facet of the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.379 and a solid turnover percentage of 8.9. The Toreros were 0.211 and 15.6, respectively, for those same stats.
San Diego Toreros at BYU Cougars Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – BYU, ATS Winner – San Diego, O/U – Under
- The Toreros are 12th in the NCAA with 2.3 blocks allowed per game while the Cougars are 51st with 2.9 blocks allowed per game.
- San Diego ranks 47th in steals allowed per game (5.5) while BYU ranks 81st (6.0).
- San Diego ranks 85th in three pointers attempted per game (24.1) while BYU ranks 239th (18.3).
- The Cougars rank eighth in rebounds allowed per game (30.0) while the Toreros rank 98th (34.1).
- San Diego ranks second in assists allowed per game (8.4) while BYU ranks 71st (12.3).
- The Cougars average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.6, up from 10.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Toreros have scored an average of 67.6 points per game (3.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.8 points per game (5.3 above their season average).