MWC foes will collide when the Wyoming Cowboys (7-3) challenge the San Diego State Aztecs (8-3) at Arena-Auditorium. San Diego State is a 3.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 148 points. Action begins at 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 27, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
San Diego State Aztecs vs. Wyoming Cowboys Odds Preview
The Aztecs edged the No. 12 Gonzaga Bulldogs in their last outing, 72-70. With 15 points and 10 rebounds, San Diego State’s Jalen McDaniels put together a solid outing. San Diego State played a nearly perfect game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.344 (above their season average of 0.287) and a turnover percentage of 11.1 (better than their season average of 15.7). For those same stats, Gonzaga was 0.186 and 19.4, respectively.
In the Cowboys last matchup, they were beaten by the Northern Colorado Bears, 91-84. Justin James was the games high scorer with 25 points on 11-for-16 shooting. Northern Colorado held the Cowboys to an offensive rebounding percentage of 10.0 (below their season average of 19.8). Wyoming, on the other hand, did an excellent job of making free throws (17-21; 81.0 percent).
It could be a tough game for Wyoming on the offensive glass. The Cowboys rank 344th in offensive rebounding percentage (19.0 percent), while San Diego State ranks 22nd in defensive rebounding percentage (76.3 percent).
Of San Diego State’s 9 games with betting action, five have finished over the projected point total, while 6 of Wyoming’s 11 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (8-3 for San Diego State; 7-3 for Wyoming), but the Aztecs have the advantage against the spread (ATS). San Diego State is 6-3 ATS, while the Cowboys are 4-7.
James has been exceptional over the last five games for Wyoming, averaging 19.8 points, 10.2 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.6 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Aztecs won the only contest played against each other last season, 77-68. The Aztecs played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.500 and a turnover percentage of 15.1. The Cowboys were 0.267 and 19.4, respectively, for those same stats.
San Diego State Aztecs vs. Wyoming Cowboys Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – San Diego State, ATS Winner – San Diego State, O/U – Over
- The Cowboys rank 40th in assists per game (16.7) while the Aztecs rank 129th in assists allowed per game (13.6).
- Wyoming averages 6.6 steals per game, which ranks 104th in the nation. San Diego State ranks 149th in steals allowed per game (7.5).
- Wyoming is 1-4 ATS at home, while San Diego State is 3-2 ATS on the road.
- The Aztecs have 4 overs and 1 under in 5 road games.
- Of the Cowboys 5 home games, they have 4 overs and 1 under.
- San Diego State averages 41.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 17th in the nation. Wyoming ranks 229th in rebounds allowed per game (39.1).
- The Cowboys average 25.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 49th in the nation. The Aztecs rank 215th in three pointers allowed per game (24.8).
- Wyoming ranks 13th in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while San Diego State ranks 121st (4.0).
- Wyoming is 1-3 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Diego State is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Cowboys average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.4, down from 3.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Aztecs have scored an average of 72.2 points per game (6.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.0 points per game (2.3 above their season average).