The New Mexico Lobos (9-11, 4-3 MWC) can prolong a five-game home winning streak when they take on the San Diego State Aztecs (11-6, 3-3 MWC) at Dreamstyle Arena. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 20, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
San Diego State Aztecs at New Mexico Lobos ATS Preview
The last time the Aztecs played, they lost to the Fresno State Bulldogs, 77-73. With 14 points on 4-for-7 shooting, Jalen McDaniels was San Diego State’s leading scorer. Fresno State had a turnover percentage of 12.1 (better than their season average of 15.5). San Diego State, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.511 (above their season average of 0.251).
The Lobos will look to maintain momentum after beating the UNLV Runnin’ Rebels in their last contest, 85-81. New Mexico rallied around Joe Furstinger, who contributed 14 points and nine rebounds. The Lobos had a turnover percentage of 13.0 (better than their season average of 15.3) and held the Runnin’ Rebels to an effective field goal percentage of 0.500 (below their season average of 0.566).
It could be a difficult game for New Mexico on the offensive glass. The Lobos are among the nations elite on the offensive glass, ranking 225th in offensive rebounding percentage at 28.1 percent. Meanwhile, San Diego State ranks 34th in the nation at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 75.4 percent.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Aztecs, it’s been McDaniels, who has averaged 13.4 points, 8.0 rebounds and 1.8 steals, while the Lobos have received great contributions from Anthony Mathis (15.2 points).
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. The Lobos won both contests played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, New Mexico won 64-59. The Lobos dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.434 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.387. The Aztecs were 0.389 and 0.352, respectively, for those same stats.
San Diego State Aztecs at New Mexico Lobos ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – San Diego State, ATS Winner – San Diego State, O/U – Under
- The Lobos rank 50th in assists per game (15.9) while the Aztecs rank 91st (14.6).
- New Mexico averages 30.6 three pointers per game, which ranks sixth in the nation. San Diego State ranks 190th in three pointers allowed per game (23.4).
- The Aztecs rank 37th in rebounds per game (39.1) while the Lobos rank 217th in rebounds allowed per game (37.6).
- New Mexico averages 7.5 steals per game, which ranks 47th in the nation. San Diego State ranks 121st in steals allowed per game (6.6).
- The Lobos average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.8, down from 4.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Aztecs have scored an average of 78.8 points per game (0.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 67.2 points per game (0.7 above their season average).