The Colorado State Rams (8-5, 1-1 MWC) will try to continue a seven-game home winning streak when they go head-to-head against the San Diego State Aztecs (9-4, 1-1 MWC) at Moby Arena. San Diego State is a 7.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 142 points. Action gets underway at 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
San Diego State Aztecs vs. Colorado State Rams Odds Preview
In the Aztecs last contest, they easily got past the Utah State Aggies, 79-59. With 13 points and eight rebounds, San Diego State’s Jalen McDaniels played well. San Diego State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 34.3 (above their season average of 32.1) and a turnover percentage of 11.9 (better than their season average of 15.4). Utah State was 14.3 and 26.8, respectively, for those same stats.
The Rams will look to keep it rolling after defeating the San Jose State Spartans in their last matchup, 59-52. Colorado State rallied around Prentiss Nixon, who was the top scorer from either team with 19 points on 6-for-16 shooting. The Rams made 13 of their 17 free throws (76.5 percent), while the Spartans had a turnover percentage of 31.9 (above their season average of 21.7).
Colorado State might have trouble finding the bottom of the net as they face off against one of the NCAA’s best defenses. San Diego State currently ranks 20th in defensive efficiency while the Rams rank 261st in offensive efficiency. ,
Of San Diego State’s 11 games that accepted bets, six have finished over the O/U total, while 6 of Colorado State’s 11 games have finished under the projected point total. The Aztecs come into this game with a significant advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 9-4 SU and 7-4 ATS, while the Rams are 8-5 SU and 3-8 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Rams won all three games last season. In the last matchup, Colorado State won 71-63. Colorado State did a great job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (20-25; 80.0 percent). San Diego State, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (31.6 vs. 23.1).
San Diego State Aztecs at Colorado State Rams Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – San Diego State, ATS Winner – San Diego State, O/U – Under
- The Aztecs rank 126th in assists per game (14.0) while the Rams rank 151st in assists allowed per game (14.0).
- Colorado State averages 6.2 steals per game, which ranks 110th in the nation. San Diego State ranks 133rd in steals allowed per game (6.9).
- On the road, San Diego State is 3-3 ATS with 5 overs and 1 under.
- At home, Colorado State is 2-2 ATS with 4 unders and 0 overs.
- San Diego State ranks 28th in rebounds per game (40.5) while Colorado State ranks 134th in rebounds allowed per game (35.3).
- The Aztecs rank 135th in three pointers attempted per game (22.3) while the Rams rank 239th in three pointers allowed per game (25.7).
- Colorado State ranks 38th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while San Diego State ranks 126th (4.0).
- Colorado State is 2-2 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Diego State is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Rams have outscored opponents by an average of 1.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Colorado State has lost by an average of 2.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Aztecs have scored an average of 71.4 points per game (6.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.2 points per game (0.4 below their season average).