Expect a low-scoring game when the Utah Jazz (14-18) and the San Antonio Spurs (22-10) clash at Vivint Smart Home Arena. Action starts at 10:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 21, 2017, and it can be seen on TNT.
San Antonio Spurs vs. Utah Jazz Betting Preview
In the Spurs last contest, they won a close one over the Portland Trail Blazers, 93-91. With 20 points, 17 rebounds and five assists, San Antonio’s Pau Gasol had a good game. The Spurs held the Trail Blazers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.427 (below their season average of 0.502) and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.7 (above their season average of 24.6).
The Jazz are trying to rebound after their 107-79 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder in their last outing. With 14 points and seven rebounds, Alec Burks put together a solid outing for Utah. Oklahoma City had an effective field goal percentage of 0.571 (above their season average of 0.494). Utah, on the other hand, did a great job of getting and making free throws (20-27; 74.1 percent).
Half-court execution will be at a premium when a pair of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams battle. Utah ranks 26th in possessions per game (97.1) and San Antonio is 29th (95.9).
Of San Antonio’s 31 games that accepted bets, 17 have finished under the projected point total, while 16 of Utah’s 31 games have finished over the O/U total. The Spurs hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (22-10 vs. 14-18), but the Jazz have the better against the spread (ATS) record (17-14 vs. 15-14-2).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won two of the four games played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, the Jazz won 101-97. Utah had a better free throw rate (0.169 vs. 0.128). San Antonio, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (34.1 vs. 20.6).
San Antonio Spurs vs. Utah Jazz Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Spurs, O/U – Under
- The Spurs rank second in blocks allowed per game (3.7) while the Jazz rank 12th (4.6).
- Utah ranks second in assists allowed per game (19.5) while San Antonio ranks sixth (20.9).
- Utah ranks third in fast break points allowed per game (8.9) while San Antonio ranks 13th (10.9).
- On the road, San Antonio is 4-9-1 ATS with 10 unders, 3 overs and 1 push.
- At home, Utah is 11-5 ATS with 9 unders and 7 overs.
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, San Antonio is 14-5 and Utah is 9-2.
- The Spurs are 15-1 when they reach 100 points, while the Jazz are 12-8.
- The Jazz average 18.2 points off turnovers per game, which ranks eighth in the NBA. The Spurs rank 12th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.3).
- Utah ranks second in steals per game (9.4) while San Antonio ranks 22nd (7.3).
- The Spurs rank eighth in rebounds per game (44.8) while the Jazz rank 26th (40.4).
- The Spurs rank fifth in second chance points allowed per game (11.0) while the Jazz rank sixth (11.1).
- Utah ranks 11th in three pointers attempted per game (30.1) while San Antonio ranks 26th (24.7).
- Utah is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Antonio is 1-4 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push.
- The Jazz have been outscored by an average of 9.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Utah has defeated opponents by an average of 1.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 99.6 points per game (1.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 99.4 points per game (1.5 above their season average).