Expect a defensive struggle when the Portland Trail Blazers (20-18) and the San Antonio Spurs (27-13) go head-to-head at Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 199 points with San Antonio set as a 1.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 7, 2018, and it can be seen on NBATV.
San Antonio Spurs at Portland Trail Blazers Odds Preview
The last time the Spurs played, they were victorious over the Phoenix Suns, 103-89. Kawhi Leonard was the games high scorer with 21 points on 9-for-19 shooting. The Spurs forced 23 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.534 (above their season average of 0.509).
The Trail Blazers come in on a high note after blowing out the Atlanta Hawks in their last matchup, 110-89. Portland was lifted by CJ McCollum, who was the top scorer from either team with 20 points on 8-for-13 shooting. Portland’s effective field goal percentage was their largest advantage over Atlanta. The Trail Blazers had a rate of 0.619 (above their season average of 0.497), while the Hawks posted a mark of 0.410 (below their season average of 0.521).
Portland might have a tough time putting up points as they face off against one of the NBA’s best defenses. San Antonio currently ranks second in defensive efficiency, while the Trail Blazers rank 25th in offensive efficiency.
Both of these teams have a tendency to go under the O/U total. Games involving San Antonio have gone under 57.5 percent of the time, while Portland games have gone under 68.4 percent of the time. The Spurs hold a substantial advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 27-13 SU and 21-17-2 ATS, while the Trail Blazers are 20-18 SU and 18-17-3 ATS.
McCollum has been impressive as of late for Portland, averaging 24.0 points, 5.4 rebounds and 4.2 assists over the last five games.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 184 points, which was under the projected point total of 198. The Spurs won 93-91, covering as 3-point underdogs. San Antonio had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.557 vs. 0.427). Portland, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (7.3 vs. 22.0). Pau Gasol recorded a double-double with 20 points and 17 rebounds.
San Antonio Spurs at Portland Trail Blazers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Spurs, O/U – Under
- The Spurs rank 19th in points off turnovers per game (16.0) while the Trail Blazers rank 25th (14.8).
- San Antonio ranks 23rd in points in the paint per game (41.8) while Portland ranks 25th (41.1).
- San Antonio ranks 21st in steals per game (7.3) while Portland ranks 25th (6.8).
- Portland is 6-11-2 ATS at home, while San Antonio is 7-12-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 14 of the Spurs 20 road games, while 14 of the Trail Blazers 19 home games have gone under.
- Portland is 14-4 when they allow less than 100 points, while San Antonio is 18-6.
- The Trail Blazers are 15-8 when they score above 100 points, while the Spurs are 20-2.
- The Trail Blazers rank second in three pointers allowed per game (25.5) while the Spurs rank fifth (26.2).
- San Antonio ranks first in blocks allowed per game (3.7) while Portland ranks 24th (5.3).
- The Spurs rank 20th in assists per game (21.8) while the Trail Blazers rank last (18.8).
- The Spurs rank 10th in rebounds per game (44.6) while the Trail Blazers rank 12th in rebounds allowed per game (42.6).
- San Antonio ranks 23rd in fast break points per game (9.5) while Portland ranks last (5.8).
- Portland is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Antonio is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Trail Blazers have been outscored by an average of 0.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Portland has defeated opponents by an average of 1.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 101.4 points per game (0.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 98.4 points per game (0.4 above their season average).