The San Antonio Spurs (18-8), the NBA’s top scoring defense, will clash with the Phoenix Suns (9-18) at Talking Stick Resort Arena. San Antonio opened as an 8.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 205 points. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 9, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Arizona.
San Antonio Spurs at Phoenix Suns Free Preview
In the Spurs last contest, they won a close one over the Boston Celtics, 105-102. LaMarcus Aldridge was San Antonio’s high scorer with 27 points on 11-for-20 shooting. San Antonio played a nearly perfect game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.259 (above their season average of 0.192) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 24.2). Boston had marks of 0.181 and 25.6, respectively, for those same stats.
The Suns are hoping for a better outcome after their 109-99 loss to the Washington Wizards in their last contest. T.J. Warren was Phoenix’s leading scorer with 23 points on 9-for-20 shooting. Washington had a better turnover percentage (9.8 vs. 12.6). Phoenix, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (25.0 vs. 20.0).
Phoenix might have a tough time scoring as they clash against one of the leagues best defenses. San Antonio ranks fourth in defensive efficiency, while the Suns rank 24th in offensive efficiency.
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games featuring San Antonio have gone under 60.0 percent of the time, while Phoenix games have finished over 59.3 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Spurs have a significant advantage. They are 18-8 SU and 13-10-2 ATS, while the Suns are 9-18 SU and 12-14-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 207 points, just under the projected point total of 211.5. The Spurs won 112-95, covering as 10-point favorites. San Antonio had a much better turnover percentage (8.6 vs. 16.6). Phoenix, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (23.9 vs. 19.0). Aldridge was the games top overall scorer with 21 points.
San Antonio Spurs vs. Phoenix Suns Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Spurs, O/U – Under
- The Spurs rank 10th in assists per game (23.0) while the Suns rank 28th (20.3).
- San Antonio ranks 14th in fast break points allowed per game (10.9) while Phoenix ranks 29th (14.1).
- Phoenix ranks fifth in points in the paint per game (47.6) while San Antonio ranks 22nd (40.9).
- San Antonio ranks fourth in three pointers allowed per game (26.0) while Phoenix ranks 14th (28.5).
- San Antonio is 4-6-1 ATS on the road with 9 unders and 2 overs.
- Phoenix is 4-10 ATS at home with 7 overs and 7 unders.
- In games where they allow under 100 points, San Antonio is 11-4 and Phoenix is 2-1.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Spurs are 13-0 and the Suns are 8-11.
- The Spurs rank 12th in steals allowed per game (7.8) while the Suns rank 28th (9.0).
- San Antonio ranks second in second chance points allowed per game (10.0) while Phoenix ranks 25th (13.5).
- The Spurs rank second in blocks allowed per game (3.9) while the Suns rank 24th (5.2).
- The Spurs rank 13th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.5) while the Suns rank 27th (19.8).
- San Antonio ranks fifth in rebounds allowed per game (40.9) while Phoenix ranks 26th (45.9).
- Phoenix is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Antonio is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Suns average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 7.6, down from 8.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 100.0 points per game (1.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 93.8 points per game (3.7 below their season average).