Expect a low-scoring game when the Oklahoma City Thunder (9-12) and the San Antonio Spurs (15-7) square off at Chesapeake Energy Arena. Oklahoma City is a 4.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 198.5 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 3, 2017, and it can be seen on NBATV.
San Antonio Spurs vs. Oklahoma City Thunder Free Preview
In the Spurs last contest, they beat the Memphis Grizzlies, 95-79. LaMarcus Aldridge was the top scorer from either team with 22 points on 7-for-17 shooting. San Antonio played a perfect game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.314 (above their season average of 0.191) and a turnover percentage of 13.4 (worse than their season average of 12.7). For those same stats, Memphis put up marks of 0.189 and 16.3, respectively.
The Thunder hope to maintain momentum after defeating the Minnesota Timberwolves in their last contest, 111-107. With 36 points on 10-for-21 shooting, Paul George was the top scorer from either team. The Thunder, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.1, had a fantastic mark of 39.4 and had a free throw rate of 0.266 (above their season average of 0.188).
Oklahoma City might struggle to score as they face off against one of the NBA’s best defenses. San Antonio currently ranks third in defensive efficiency while the Thunder rank 21st in offensive efficiency.
Both of these teams have typically gone under the projected point total. San Antonio games have gone under 59.1 percent of the time, while games involving Oklahoma City have gone under 61.9 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Spurs have a sizable advantage. They are 15-7 SU and 11-9-2 ATS, while the Thunder are 9-12 SU and 7-13-1 ATS.
Russell Westbrook has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Oklahoma City, averaging 29.6 points, 12.0 rebounds, 9.2 assists and 3.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 205 points, just over the projected point total of 200. The Spurs won 104-101, covering as 1.5-point underdogs. The Spurs dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.286 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.532. The Thunder had marks of 0.157 and 0.489, respectively, for those same stats. Aldridge was the games leading scorer with 26 points.
San Antonio Spurs vs. Oklahoma City Thunder Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Spurs, O/U – Under
- The Thunder rank fifth in fast break points per game (13.9) while the Spurs rank 19th (9.4).
- Oklahoma City ranks third in points allowed in the paint per game (40.0) while San Antonio ranks ninth (42.8).
- San Antonio ranks second in blocks per game (6.0) while Oklahoma City ranks 10th (5.0).
- On the road, San Antonio is 3-6-1 ATS with 8 unders and 2 overs.
- At home, Oklahoma City is 5-4-1 ATS with 6 unders and 4 overs.
- In games where they allow under 100 points, San Antonio is 10-3 and Oklahoma City is 7-4.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Thunder are 8-5 and the Spurs are 11-0.
- The Spurs rank first in second chance points allowed per game (9.6) while the Thunder rank ninth (11.0).
- Oklahoma City ranks first in steals per game (10.6) while San Antonio ranks 19th (7.7).
- The Thunder rank ninth in three pointers attempted per game (31.0) while the Spurs rank 25th (24.6).
- The Spurs rank fifth in rebounds allowed per game (41.2) while the Thunder rank seventh (42.0).
- Oklahoma City ranks first in points off turnovers per game (21.0) while San Antonio ranks 17th (16.8).
- Oklahoma City is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Antonio is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Thunder have been outscored by an average of 1.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Oklahoma City has defeated opponents by an average of 3.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 102.0 points per game (0.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 95.0 points per game (2.5 below their season average).