The San Antonio Spurs (25-12), the NBA’s top scoring defense, will meet the New York Knicks (18-18) at Madison Square Garden. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 199.5 points with San Antonio set as a 4-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018, and it can be seen on MSG Network.
San Antonio Spurs vs. New York Knicks Betting Preview
In the Spurs last game, they were beaten by the Detroit Pistons, 93-79. San Antonio’s LaMarcus Aldridge recorded 15 points and 11 rebounds in the game. Detroit held the Spurs to an effective field goal percentage of 0.399 (below their season average of 0.515). San Antonio, on the other hand, held the Pistons to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.3 (below their season average of 24.0).
The Knicks come in on a high note after barely hanging on to beat the New Orleans Pelicans in their last outing, 105-103. New York rallied around Kristaps Porzingis, who led the team in scoring with 30 points on 11-for-22 shooting. The Knicks held the Pelicans to an offensive rebounding percentage of 8.7 (below their season average of 20.0) and had a turnover percentage of 5.5 (better than their season average of 13.7).
The battle on the backboards could prove decisive, pitting strength against strength. The Knicks are among the NBA’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking third in offensive rebounding percentage at 25.9 percent. Meanwhile, San Antonio ranks fifth in the league at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 79.6 percent.
Of San Antonio’s 37 games, 21 have finished under the projected point total, while 19 of New York’s 36 games have finished under the O/U total. The Spurs have the clear advantage straight up (SU) (25-12 vs. 18-18), but the Knicks have been superior against the spread (ATS) (20-16 vs. 19-16-2).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 226 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 199. The Spurs won 119-107, covering as 10-point favorites. San Antonio did a great job of getting and making free throws (28-39; 71.8 percent). New York, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (26.7 vs. 23.8). Michael Beasley recorded a double-double in the defeat, with 23 points and 12 rebounds.
San Antonio Spurs at New York Knicks Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Spurs, O/U – Under
- The Knicks rank second in points allowed in the paint per game (40.2) while the Spurs rank 12th (42.3).
- San Antonio averages 15.5 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 22nd in the NBA. New York ranks 23rd in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.3).
- San Antonio ranks 21st in fast break points per game (9.6) while New York ranks 29th (6.4).
- On the road, San Antonio is 6-11-1 ATS with 13 unders, 4 overs and 1 push.
- New York is 15-6 ATS at home with 11 unders and 10 overs.
- San Antonio is 16-6 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while New York is 8-1.
- The Knicks are 17-8 when they reach the century mark, while the Spurs are 18-1.
- The Knicks rank second in rebounds allowed per game (41.0) while the Spurs rank sixth (41.4).
- San Antonio ranks fourth in three pointers allowed per game (26.4) while New York ranks 29th (31.6).
- The Spurs rank first in blocks allowed per game (3.6) while the Knicks rank 15th (4.9).
- San Antonio ranks ninth in second chance points per game (13.4) while New York ranks 20th in second chance points allowed per game (13.0).
- New York is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Antonio is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Knicks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.0, up from 0.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 100.8 points per game (0.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 99.2 points per game (1.1 above their season average).