The New Orleans Pelicans (47-34) and San Antonio Spurs (47-34) will square off at Smoothie King Center to commence their Western Conference schedules. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 211 points with New Orleans opening as a 3.5-point favorite. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, April 11, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – New Orleans.
San Antonio Spurs at New Orleans Pelicans Free Preview
The Spurs were victorious over the Sacramento Kings in their last contest, 98-85. With 15 points and 14 rebounds, LaMarcus Aldridge had a solid game for San Antonio. The Spurs knocked down 24 of their 29 free throws (82.8 percent) and had a turnover percentage of 7.8 (better than their season average of 11.8).
The last time the Pelicans played, they beat the Los Angeles Clippers, 113-100. New Orleans’ Nikola Mirotic was a key piece with 24 points and 16 rebounds. New Orleans dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 6.3 (better than their season average of 12.9) and a free throw rate of 0.147 (matching their season average). For those same stats, Los Angeles had marks of 12.4 and 0.082, respectively.
It will be a matchup of contrasting styles as the fast-paced Pelicans will look to push the more half-court-oriented Spurs. The Pelicans rank second in possessions per game while the Spurs are 30th.
Of San Antonio’s 81 games, 43 have finished under the O/U total, while 47 of New Orleans’ 81 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (47-34 for San Antonio; 47-34 for New Orleans), but the Pelicans hold a slight edge against the spread (ATS). New Orleans is 44-36-1 ATS, while the Spurs are 41-36-4.
Aldridge and Rudy Gay have been playing well over the last five games for San Antonio. Aldridge has averaged 27.8 points, 10.2 rebounds, 1.8 blocks and 1.4 steals per game, while Gay has recorded 14.6 points and 1.6 steals per game.
These two teams have met three times already this year, with the Pelicans leading the series two games to one. Jrue Holiday had 24 points, eight rebounds and seven assists in the most recent contest, in which the Pelicans lost 98-93, unable to cover as 4.5-point underdogs. The two teams combined for 191 points, which was 28.5 points below the projected point total of 219.5 points. The Spurs dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a solid turnover percentage of 8.5 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.8. The Pelicans were 12.6 and 24.5, respectively, for those same stats.
San Antonio Spurs at New Orleans Pelicans Odds Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Spurs, O/U – Over
- The Spurs rank 10th in points allowed in the paint per game (43.7) while the Pelicans rank 26th (47.8).
- New Orleans averages 8.0 steals per game, which ranks ninth in the NBA. San Antonio ranks 13th in steals allowed per game (7.5).
- San Antonio averages 44.3 rebounds per game, which ranks ninth in the NBA. New Orleans ranks 24th in rebounds allowed per game (45.6).
- San Antonio is second in the NBA with 3.9 blocks allowed per game while New Orleans is fourth with 4.2 blocks allowed per game.
- New Orleans is 18-21-1 ATS at home, while San Antonio is 15-22-3 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 22 of the Spurs’ 40 road games, while 27 of the Pelicans’ 40 home games have gone over.
- When allowing below 100 points, San Antonio is 32-10 and New Orleans is 11-2.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Pelicans are 44-22 and the Spurs are 36-14.
- The Spurs rank fifth in assists allowed per game (21.7) while the Pelicans rank 18th (23.8).
- San Antonio averages 13.2 second chance points per game, which ranks eighth in the NBA. New Orleans ranks last in second chance points allowed per game (13.8).
- The Spurs rank fourth in three pointers allowed per game (26.4) while the Pelicans rank 25th (30.7).
- The Spurs average 16.2 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 17th in the NBA. The Pelicans rank 20th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.2).
- New Orleans ranks third in fast break points per game (15.0) while San Antonio ranks 23rd (10.2).
- New Orleans is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Antonio is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pelicans’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.2, up from 1.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 107.2 points per game (4.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 101.6 points per game (2.0 above their season average).