The Memphis Grizzlies (17-29) can lengthen a five-game home winning streak when they meet the San Antonio Spurs (31-18) at FedExForum. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
San Antonio Spurs at Memphis Grizzlies Odds Preview
The Spurs were victorious over the Cleveland Cavaliers in their last matchup, 114-102. LaMarcus Aldridge was the games leading scorer with 30 points on 12-for-18 shooting. San Antonio dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 8.2 (better than their season average of 12.7) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.1 (above their season average of 23.1). Cleveland recorded marks of 17.4 and 15.8, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Grizzlies last matchup, they beat the Philadelphia 76ers, 105-101. Memphis Tyreke Evans had a good outing, finishing with 18 points and eight assists. The Grizzlies forced 23 turnovers and had a free throw rate of 0.372 (above their season average of 0.219).
The ineffective offense of Memphis (24th in the NBA with an offensive efficiency of 104.3) will face off against the elite defense of San Antonio (second in the league with a defensive efficiency of 101.4). The Spurs should have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Both of these teams tend to go under the O/U total. San Antonio games have gone under 60.4 percent of the time, while 58.7 percent of games including Memphis have finished under. The Spurs come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 31-18 SU and 24-20-4 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 17-29 SU and 20-24-2 ATS.
These two teams have already met twice this year, with the Spurs winning both. Aldridge scored a game-high 22 points in the most recent game, in which the Spurs beat the Grizzlies 95-79, covering as 3-point favorites. He also had six rebounds. The two teams combined for 174 points, which was 18.5 points below the projected point total of 192.5 points. The Spurs dominated every facet of the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.314 and a turnover percentage of 13.4. The Grizzlies put up marks of 0.189 and 16.3, respectively, for those same stats.
San Antonio Spurs vs. Memphis Grizzlies ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Grizzlies, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Under
- The Grizzlies rank fifth in fast break points per game (13.7) while the Spurs rank 20th (9.8).
- Memphis ranks 21st in three pointers attempted per game (27.1) while San Antonio ranks 26th (24.4).
- San Antonio ranks 20th in assists per game (22.0) while Memphis ranks 29th (20.7).
- Memphis is 11-13-1 ATS at home, while San Antonio is 9-14-3 ATS on the road.
- The Spurs have 18 unders, 7 overs and 1 push in 26 road games.
- The Grizzlies have 17 unders and 8 overs in 25 home games.
- Memphis is 11-9 when they allow less than 100 points, while San Antonio is 20-9.
- The Grizzlies are 12-10 when they reach 100 points, while the Spurs are 24-3.
- The Grizzlies rank 20th in points in the paint per game (42.3) while the Spurs rank 27th (41.3).
- San Antonio ranks first in blocks allowed per game (3.4) while Memphis ranks 26th (5.3).
- The Spurs rank 10th in rebounds per game (44.4) while the Grizzlies rank 29th (40.3).
- Memphis ranks third in steals allowed per game (6.8) while San Antonio ranks 19th (8.0).
- Memphis is 5-0 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Antonio is 2-2-1 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Grizzlies have outscored opponents by an average of 6.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Memphis has lost by an average of 2.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 96.4 points per game (4.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 95.8 points per game (1.8 below their season average).