The Houston Rockets (22-4) and the San Antonio Spurs (19-9) battle at Toyota Center. The Rockets will try to prolong their 11-game winning streak. Houston opened as an 8-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 213.5 points. Action starts at 9:30 p.m. ET on Friday, December 15, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN.
San Antonio Spurs vs. Houston Rockets ATS Preview
The Spurs fell to the Dallas Mavericks in their last game, 95-89. LaMarcus Aldridge put together a solid game for San Antonio, leading both teams in scoring with 23 points on 9-for-23 shooting. Dallas had a turnover percentage of 6.0 (better than their season average of 12.5). San Antonio, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.138 vs. 0.112).
In the Rockets last matchup, they topped the Charlotte Hornets, 108-96. With 31 points on 10-for-18 shooting, Chris Paul was the top scorer from either team. The Rockets held the Hornets to an effective field goal percentage of 0.437 (below their season average of 0.492) and had a turnover percentage of 9.4 (better than their season average of 13.8).
The game should be a battle of strength against strength as the high-octane offense of Houston (second in the NBA with an offensive efficiency of 113.6) takes on the top-notch defense of San Antonio (second in the NBA with a defensive efficiency of 101.6).
Of San Antonio’s 28 games, 16 have finished under the projected point total, while 14 of Houston’s 26 games have finished under the O/U total. The Rockets have the clear advantage straight up (SU) (22-4 vs. 19-9) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (14-11-1 vs. 14-12-2).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Spurs, it’s been Rudy Gay, who has averaged 15.4 points and 7.8 rebounds, while the Rockets have gotten great contributions from Paul (19.6 points, 7.8 assists, 6.2 rebounds and 2.0 steals).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after the Spurs won seven out of 10 games last season. In the most recent matchup, San Antonio won 114-75. The Spurs dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 6.4 and a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 34.1. The Rockets had marks of 12.9 and 17.9, respectively, for those same stats.
San Antonio Spurs vs. Houston Rockets Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Under
- The Spurs rank second in blocks per game (6.0) while the Rockets rank 13th (4.9).
- San Antonio ranks 22nd in points in the paint per game (40.8) while Houston ranks 24th in points allowed in the paint per game (45.9).
- San Antonio ranks first in second chance points allowed per game (10.3) while Houston ranks eighth (11.4).
- On the road, San Antonio is 4-8-1 ATS with 10 unders, 2 overs and 1 push.
- Houston is 5-7-1 ATS at home with 7 unders and 6 overs.
- Houston is 10-1 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while San Antonio is 11-5.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Spurs are 14-0 and the Rockets are 22-2.
- The Rockets rank 11th in fast break points per game (11.9) while the Spurs rank 15th in fast break points allowed per game (11.1).
- Houston ranks first in three pointers attempted per game (43.3) while San Antonio ranks 26th (25.0).
- The Rockets rank third in steals per game (9.4) while the Spurs rank 21st (7.3).
- The Rockets are second in the NBA with 40.9 rebounds allowed per game while the Spurs are fourth with 41.2 rebounds allowed per game.
- Houston ranks fourth in points off turnovers per game (19.3) while San Antonio ranks 22nd (15.5).
- Houston is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Antonio is 2-3 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push.
- The Rockets’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.0, up from 11.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 102.2 points per game (1.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 99.2 points per game (1.7 above their season average).