A defensive struggle should be expected when the Portland Trail Blazers (16-14) and the San Antonio Spurs (21-10) square off at Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 199 points with San Antonio set as a 1-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 10 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 20, 2017.
San Antonio Spurs vs. Portland Trail Blazers ATS Preview
The Spurs dismantled the Los Angeles Clippers in their last outing, 109-91. LaMarcus Aldridge was the games leading scorer with 19 points on 7-for-13 shooting. San Antonio dominated every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.244 (above their season average of 0.188) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.543 (above their season average of 0.508). For those same stats, Los Angeles had marks of 0.095 and 0.494, respectively.
The last time the Trail Blazers played, they were dismantled by the Minnesota Timberwolves, 108-107. With 17 points, 13 assists and eight rebounds, Portland’s Damian Lillard had a solid game. Minnesota did a fantastic job of making free throws (17-21; 81.0 percent). Portland, meanwhile, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.607 (above their season average of 0.498).
Baskets could be hard to come by as two of the NBA’s top defenses face off. Portland ranks second in defensive efficiency (102.0) and San Antonio is third (102.1).
Of San Antonio’s 31 games, 17 have finished under the O/U total, while 21 of Portland’s 30 games have finished under the O/U total. The Spurs have the superior straight up (SU) record (21-10 vs. 16-14), but both teams are close to the .500 mark against the spread (ATS).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won two of the four games played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, the Trail Blazers won 99-98. The Trail Blazers 8.6 turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Spurs, who had a rate of 14.0.
San Antonio Spurs at Portland Trail Blazers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Under
- The Spurs rank 19th in points off turnovers per game (15.8) while the Trail Blazers rank 27th (14.5).
- San Antonio ranks 20th in points in the paint per game (41.7) while Portland ranks 25th (40.4).
- San Antonio ranks 20th in steals per game (7.3) while Portland ranks 27th (6.4).
- San Antonio ranks fifth in second chance points allowed per game (10.7) while Portland ranks ninth (11.4).
- San Antonio is 4-9-1 ATS on the road with 10 unders, 3 overs and 1 push.
- Portland is 4-9-2 ATS at home with 11 unders and 4 overs.
- Portland is 12-3 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while San Antonio is 13-5.
- The Trail Blazers are 12-7 when they score over 100 points, while the Spurs are 15-1.
- The Trail Blazers rank second in three pointers allowed per game (25.2) while the Spurs rank eighth (26.8).
- San Antonio ranks second in blocks allowed per game (3.7) while Portland ranks 23rd (5.3).
- The Spurs rank 15th in fast break points per game (10.4) while the Trail Blazers rank last (5.3).
- The Trail Blazers rank fifth in rebounds per game (45.4) while the Spurs rank 10th (44.5).
- San Antonio ranks 17th in assists per game (22.4) while Portland ranks 29th (18.2).
- Portland is 5-0 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Antonio is 1-4 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push.
- The Trail Blazers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.6, down from 2.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 101.8 points per game (0.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 101.4 points per game (3.3 above their season average).