The San Antonio Spurs (34-21), the NBA’s top scoring defense, will square off against the Phoenix Suns (18-37) at Talking Stick Resort Arena. Action begins at 10:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 7, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
San Antonio Spurs vs. Phoenix Suns Odds Preview
The Spurs were beaten by the Utah Jazz in their last matchup, 120-111. With 31 points on 12-for-19 shooting, LaMarcus Aldridge was San Antonio’s leading scorer. Utah did a fantastic job of making free throws (30-36; 83.3 percent). San Antonio, meanwhile, forced the Jazz into a turnover percentage of 16.7 (above their season average of 13.1).
In the Suns last game, they were beaten by the Los Angeles Lakers, 112-93. T.J. Warren was Phoenix’s high scorer with 24 points on 9-for-22 shooting. Los Angeles did a terrific job of converting from the charity stripe (23-26; 88.5 percent). Phoenix, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (9.6 vs. 12.9).
The ineffective offense of Phoenix (27th in the NBA with an offensive efficiency of 102.9) will clash against the top-notch defense of San Antonio (second in the league with a defensive efficiency of 102.2). The Spurs should have the edge on that side of the ball.
Of San Antonio’s 55 games, 31 have finished under the projected point total, while 27 of Phoenix’s 54 games have finished under the O/U total. The Spurs have the better straight up (SU) record (34-21 vs. 18-37), but both teams are close to the .500 mark against the spread (ATS).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Spurs, it’s been Dejounte Murray, who has averaged 9.4 rebounds, 8.2 points and 5.6 assists, while the Suns have gotten great contributions from Josh Jackson (17.2 points and 5.8 rebounds).
These two teams have already met three times this season, with the Spurs winning all three. Kawhi Leonard scored a game-high 21 points in the most recent game, in which the Spurs beat the Suns 103-89, covering as 11.5-point favorites. The two teams combined to put up 192 points, which was 18 points below the projected point total of 210 points. San Antonio had a much better turnover percentage (13.6 vs. 20.2). Phoenix, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.145 vs. 0.115).
San Antonio Spurs at Phoenix Suns Odds Prediction
NBA Tip: SU Winner – Suns, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Under
- The Spurs rank 12th in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.8) while the Suns rank 27th (18.9).
- San Antonio ranks 15th in assists per game (22.5) while Phoenix ranks 25th (21.1).
- San Antonio ranks 11th in rebounds per game (44.3) while Phoenix ranks 23rd in rebounds allowed per game (45.0).
- Phoenix ranks 19th in three pointers attempted per game (27.8) while San Antonio ranks 27th (24.5).
- San Antonio is 10-14-3 ATS on the road with 18 unders, 8 overs and 1 push.
- At home, Phoenix is 11-16-1 ATS with 15 unders, 12 overs and 1 push.
- Phoenix is 6-2 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while San Antonio is 22-10.
- The Suns are 14-22 when they score more than 100 points, while the Spurs are 27-4.
- The Spurs rank 18th in steals per game (7.4) while the Suns rank 29th (6.7).
- San Antonio ranks first in blocks allowed per game (3.6) while Phoenix ranks 28th (5.4).
- The Spurs rank fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.9) while the Suns rank 25th (47.3).
- The Spurs average 12.7 second chance points per game, which ranks 15th in the NBA. The Suns rank 24th in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- San Antonio ranks 13th in fast break points allowed per game (11.2) while Phoenix ranks 29th (14.5).
- Phoenix is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Antonio is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Suns average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.6, up from 7.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 99.8 points per game (1.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 104.2 points per game (6.2 above their season average).