The Philadelphia 76ers (17-19) can end a five-game home losing streak when they go head-to-head against the San Antonio Spurs (26-12) at Wells Fargo Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southwest.
San Antonio Spurs at Philadelphia 76ers Free Preview
The Spurs beat the New York Knicks in their last outing, 100-91. LaMarcus Aldridge was the top scorer from either team with 29 points on 10-for-23 shooting. San Antonio played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.341 (above their season average of 0.187) and a turnover percentage of 7.6 (better than their season average of 12.8). New York was 0.161 and 12.9, respectively, for those same stats.
The last time the 76ers played, they beat the Phoenix Suns, 123-110. Ben Simmons fueled Philadelphia with 21 points, nine rebounds and six assists. Philadelphia dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal effective field goal percentage of 0.623 (above their season average of 0.519) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 (above their season average of 25.6). For those same stats, Phoenix had marks of 0.477 and 26.7, respectively.
This contest should be a matchup of conflicting tempos. Philadelphia has preferred an up-tempo style of play (second in possessions per game), while San Antonio has been slower-paced (29th in possessions per game).
Of San Antonio’s 37 games with betting action, 21 have finished under the projected point total, while 19 of Philadelphia’s 36 games have finished over the projected point total. The Spurs have the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (26-12 vs. 17-19), but the 76ers have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (19-17 vs. 19-16-2).
Pau Gasol has taken his game to another level over the last five games for San Antonio, averaging 14.8 points, 12.2 rebounds and 5.6 assists per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Spurs won both meetings played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, San Antonio won 111-103. The Spurs dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.601 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.6. For those same stats, the 76ers were 0.482 and 14.3, respectively.
San Antonio Spurs at Philadelphia 76ers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – 76ers, ATS Winner – 76ers, O/U – Under
- The 76ers rank third in assists per game (26.2) while the Spurs rank 20th (22.0).
- Philadelphia ranks first in rebounds per game (47.7) while San Antonio ranks 11th (44.7).
- Philadelphia ranks 11th in three pointers attempted per game (29.9) while San Antonio ranks 27th (24.3).
- San Antonio is 6-11-1 ATS on the road, while Philadelphia is 8-8 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 9 of the 76ers 16 home games, while 13 of the Spurs 18 road games have gone under.
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, Philadelphia is 5-0 and San Antonio is 17-6.
- The Spurs are 19-1 when they score over 100 points, while the 76ers are 16-12.
- The Spurs rank ninth in second chance points per game (13.3) while the 76ers rank 21st in second chance points allowed per game (13.0).
- San Antonio ranks first in blocks allowed per game (3.7) while Philadelphia ranks 27th (5.8).
- The Spurs rank 11th in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.5) while the 76ers rank 29th (19.3).
- The 76ers average 46.9 points in the paint per game, which ranks seventh in the NBA. The Spurs rank 11th in points allowed in the paint per game (42.3).
- San Antonio ranks 13th in steals allowed per game (7.7) while Philadelphia ranks last (9.4).
- Philadelphia is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Antonio is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The 76ers have outscored opponents by an average of 1.0 point in their last five games. For the season, Philadelphia has lost by an average of 0.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 103.0 points per game (1.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 97.4 points per game (0.5 below their season average).