The San Antonio Spurs (25-11), the leagues top scoring defense, will go head-to-head with the Detroit Pistons (19-15) at Little Caesars Arena. San Antonio opened as a 4.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 195.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 30, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit.
San Antonio Spurs at Detroit Pistons Free Preview
The last time the Spurs played, they beat the New York Knicks, 119-107. With 17 points, 11 rebounds and seven assists, San Antonio’s Pau Gasol had a good performance. The Spurs made 28 of their 39 free throws (71.8 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.569 (above their season average of 0.513).
The Pistons are hoping for a better outcome after their 102-89 loss to the Orlando Magic in their last outing. With 17 points, 18 rebounds and five assists, Detroit’s Andre Drummond had a solid outing. Orlando did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (17-17; 100.0 percent). Detroit, meanwhile, forced the Magic into a turnover percentage of 16.7 (above their season average of 13.1).
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the leagues slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. Detroit currently ranks 22nd in possessions per game (97.5) and San Antonio is 29th (95.9).
Games including these teams have a tendency to finish under the projected point total. San Antonio games have gone under 55.6 percent of the time, while 58.8 percent of Detroit games have gone under. The Spurs have the significant advantage straight up (SU) (25-11 vs. 19-15), but the Pistons have been superior against the spread (ATS) (19-13-2 vs. 19-15-2).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 189 points, which was under the projected point total of 200. The Spurs won 96-93, but were unable to cover as 4-point favorites. The Spurs offensive rebounding percentage was their largest advantage over the Pistons. San Antonio had a rate of 22.2, while Detroit posted a mark of 14.6. In the loss, Drummond recorded a double-double with 11 points and 15 rebounds.
San Antonio Spurs vs. Detroit Pistons Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Spurs, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank second in fast break points allowed per game (8.3) while the Spurs rank 13th (10.9).
- San Antonio ranks 10th in rebounds per game (44.5) while Detroit ranks 13th in rebounds allowed per game (42.6).
- Detroit ranks fourth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.7) while San Antonio ranks 12th (15.6).
- On the road, San Antonio is 6-10-1 ATS with 12 unders, 4 overs and 1 push.
- Detroit is 8-7-1 ATS at home with 8 overs and 8 unders.
- In games where they allow under 100 points, Detroit is 10-4 and San Antonio is 16-5.
- When reaching 100 points, the Spurs are 18-1 and the Pistons are 17-4.
- The Pistons rank fourth in second chance points allowed per game (10.6) while the Spurs rank eighth (11.4).
- San Antonio ranks third in blocks per game (5.6) while Detroit ranks 28th (3.4).
- The Spurs rank sixth in assists allowed per game (21.1) while the Pistons rank 25th (24.1).
- Detroit ranks 15th in three pointers attempted per game (29.0) while San Antonio ranks 26th (24.2).
- Detroit is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Antonio is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Pistons average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.2, down from 0.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 103.6 points per game (1.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 98.8 points per game (0.6 above their season average).