Southwest Division foes will clash when the Dallas Mavericks (7-20) challenge the San Antonio Spurs (19-8) at American Airlines Center. Action begins at 8:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 12, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southwest.
San Antonio Spurs vs. Dallas Mavericks Free Preview
In the Spurs last matchup, they won a close one over the Phoenix Suns, 104-101. With 20 points and nine rebounds, LaMarcus Aldridge played well for San Antonio. The Spurs, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.5, had an absurd mark of 37.5 and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.494 vs. 0.481).
The Mavericks are trying to rebound after their 97-92 loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves in their last matchup. Harrison Barnes led Dallas in scoring with 19 points on 8-for-15 shooting. Minnesota did a terrific job of making free throws (18-23; 78.3 percent). Dallas, on the other hand, forced the Timberwolves into a turnover percentage of 18.0 (above their season average of 12.2).
Dallas might have a tough time putting up points as they square off against one of the leagues best defenses. San Antonio currently ranks second in defensive efficiency, while the Mavericks rank 27th in offensive efficiency.
Of San Antonio’s 27 games, 15 have finished under the O/U total, while 14 of Dallas 27 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Spurs have a clear advantage. They are 19-8 SU and 14-11-2 ATS, while the Mavericks are 7-20 SU and 12-15 ATS.
These two teams have met twice already this season, with the Spurs winning both. Aldridge scored a game-high 33 points in the most recent matchup, in which the Spurs defeated the Mavericks 115-108 but did not cover as 9-point favorites. He also put up 10 rebounds. The two teams combined to score 223 points, which was 29 points above the projected point total of 194 points. The Spurs dominated every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.232 and a superb turnover percentage of 9.9. The Mavericks recorded marks of 0.141 and 10.6, respectively, for those same stats.
San Antonio Spurs at Dallas Mavericks Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Spurs, O/U – Under
- The Spurs rank sixth in second chance points per game (14.2) while the Mavericks rank 27th (9.8).
- San Antonio ranks 19th in points off turnovers per game (15.9) while Dallas ranks 28th (13.9).
- San Antonio ranks 16th in fast break points allowed per game (11.3) while Dallas ranks 27th (14.1).
- San Antonio averages 22.9 assists per game, which ranks 12th in the league. Dallas ranks 14th in assists allowed per game (22.3).
- Dallas is 6-9 ATS at home, while San Antonio is 4-7-1 ATS on the road.
- The Spurs have 9 unders, 2 overs and 1 push in 12 road games.
- Of the Mavericks 15 home games, they have 7 overs, 7 unders and 1 push.
- In games where they allow under 100 points, Dallas is 6-6 and San Antonio is 11-4.
- The Mavericks are 5-8 when they reach 100 points, while the Spurs are 14-0.
- The Mavericks rank first in points allowed in the paint per game (39.1) while the Spurs rank 11th (42.3).
- San Antonio ranks second in blocks per game (6.1) while Dallas ranks 26th (3.7).
- The Spurs rank fourth in rebounds allowed per game (40.9) while the Mavericks rank 27th (46.1).
- The Spurs rank 20th in steals per game (7.4) while the Mavericks rank 27th (6.7).
- Dallas ranks fifth in three pointers attempted per game (32.2) while San Antonio ranks 26th (24.9).
- Dallas is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Antonio is 3-2 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push.
- The Mavericks have outscored opponents by an average of 4.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Dallas has been defeated by an average of 3.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 101.8 points per game (0.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 98.2 points per game (0.6 above their season average).