The San Antonio Spurs (29-16), the NBA’s top scoring defense, will challenge the Brooklyn Nets (16-28) at Barclays Center. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 17, 2018, and it can be seen on YES Network.
San Antonio Spurs at Brooklyn Nets Betting Preview
The Spurs lost a tough one against the Atlanta Hawks in their last contest, 102-99. With 25 points on 11-for-21 shooting, LaMarcus Aldridge was San Antonio’s high scorer. Atlanta held the Spurs to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.0 (below their season average of 23.2). San Antonio, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (8.6 vs. 14.0).
The last time the Nets played, they were beaten by the New York Knicks, 119-104. DeMarre Carroll led Brooklyn in scoring with 22 points on 6-for-13 shooting. New York had an effective field goal percentage of 0.567 (above their season average of 0.512). Brooklyn, on the other hand, held the Knicks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.0 (below their season average of 25.4).
The inefficient offense of Brooklyn will clash against the elite defense of San Antonio. The Nets rank 25th in offensive efficiency, while the Spurs are second in defensive efficiency. The Spurs figure to have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Of San Antonio’s 45 games, 26 have finished under the projected point total, while 23 of Brooklyn’s 44 games have finished under the O/U total. The Spurs have the superior straight up (SU) record (29-16 vs. 16-28), but the Nets hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (27-17 vs. 23-19-3).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 206 points, just under the projected point total of 207. The Spurs won 109-97, covering as 12-point favorites. The Spurs dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.250 and a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.556. The Nets were 0.075 and 0.484, respectively, for those same stats. Pau Gasol recorded a double-double with 15 points and 12 rebounds.
San Antonio Spurs vs. Brooklyn Nets Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Nets, ATS Winner – Nets, O/U – Under
- The Spurs rank 19th in steals per game (7.4) while the Nets rank 29th (6.5).
- San Antonio averages 16.4 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 16th in the NBA. Brooklyn ranks 21st in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.7).
- San Antonio is 8-14-2 ATS on the road, while Brooklyn is 12-9 ATS at home.
- The Spurs have 16 unders, 7 overs and 1 push in 24 road games.
- Of the Nets 21 home games, they have 11 unders and 10 overs.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, San Antonio is 19-7 and Brooklyn is 10-1.
- When reaching the century mark, the Nets are 12-20 and the Spurs are 22-3.
- The Spurs average 12.6 second chance points per game, which ranks 13th in the league. The Nets rank 17th in second chance points allowed per game (12.7).
- San Antonio ranks first in blocks allowed per game (3.6) while Brooklyn ranks 27th (5.7).
- The Nets rank second in three pointers attempted per game (34.1) while the Spurs rank 26th (24.4).
- San Antonio ranks ninth in rebounds allowed per game (42.1) while Brooklyn ranks 29th (46.1).
- Brooklyn is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Antonio is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Nets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.2, up from 3.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 101.8 points per game (0.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 97.2 points per game (0.7 below their season average).