The Atlanta Hawks (11-31) will be at home in Philips Arena when they go head-to-head with the San Antonio Spurs (29-15). The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 205.5 points with San Antonio opening as an 8-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m. ET on Monday, January 15, 2018, and it can be seen on NBATV.
San Antonio Spurs at Atlanta Hawks Free Preview
The Spurs dismantled the Denver Nuggets in their last contest, 112-80. Kawhi Leonard led San Antonio in scoring with 19 points on 5-for-8 shooting. The Spurs, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.511, had a fantastic mark of 0.615 and had a free throw rate of 0.205 (above their season average of 0.188).
In the Hawks last game, they were blown out by the Brooklyn Nets, 110-105. Dennis Schroder was the top scorer from either team with 34 points on 14-for-26 shooting. Brooklyn had a better turnover percentage (12.5 vs. 16.4). Atlanta, on the other hand, did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (20-26; 76.9 percent).
Atlanta might struggle to put up points as they battle against one of the leagues best defenses. San Antonio currently ranks second in defensive efficiency while the Hawks rank 19th in offensive efficiency.
Of San Antonio’s 44 games, 25 have finished under the O/U total, while 21 of Atlanta’s 42 games have finished over the projected point total. The Spurs have the better straight up (SU) record (29-15 vs. 11-31), but both teams are right around the .500 mark against the spread (ATS).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 181 points, well under the projected point total of 203.5. The Spurs won 96-85, covering as 9-point favorites. The Spurs dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.067 and a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 32.6. The Hawks were 0.035 and 19.1, respectively, for those same stats. Despite the loss, John Collins was a top performer in the game with 21 points and nine rebounds.
San Antonio Spurs at Atlanta Hawks Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Hawks, O/U – Under
- The Spurs rank eighth in second chance points allowed per game (11.6) while the Hawks rank 28th (13.9).
- Atlanta ranks eighth in steals per game (8.4) while San Antonio ranks 19th in steals allowed per game (8.0).
- Atlanta ranks third in points off turnovers per game (18.8) while San Antonio ranks 16th (16.4).
- San Antonio is 8-13-2 ATS on the road with 15 unders, 7 overs and 1 push.
- At home, Atlanta is 10-9 ATS with 11 overs, 7 unders and 1 push.
- San Antonio is 19-7 when they allow below 100 points, while Atlanta is 4-3.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Spurs are 22-3 and the Hawks are 11-18.
- The Spurs rank 12th in rebounds per game (44.3) while the Hawks rank 25th (40.6).
- San Antonio ranks sixth in assists allowed per game (21.1) while Atlanta ranks last (25.6).
- The Spurs rank first in blocks allowed per game (3.6) while the Hawks rank 24th (5.2).
- The Spurs rank 22nd in points in the paint per game (41.8) while the Hawks rank 26th (41.0).
- San Antonio ranks sixth in three pointers allowed per game (26.4) while Atlanta ranks 27th (31.1).
- Atlanta is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Antonio is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.6, up from 4.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 102.6 points per game (1.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 94.6 points per game (3.2 below their season average).