The Valparaiso Crusaders (4-0) are off to a hot start and will try to stay unbeaten when they meet the Samford Bulldogs (1-3) at Athletics-Recreation Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 151 points with Valparaiso opening as a 9-point favorite. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, November 21, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Samford Bulldogs at Valparaiso Crusaders Betting Preview
In the Bulldogs last contest, they got blown out by the Loyola Chicago Ramblers, 88-67. With 17 points on 7-for-10 shooting, Christen Cunningham led Samford in scoring. Loyola Chicago did an excellent job of making free throws (19-26; 73.1 percent). Samford, meanwhile, held the Ramblers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.8 (below their season average of 29.8).
The Crusaders hope to maintain momentum after thoroughly outplaying the Southeastern Louisiana Lions in their last outing, 83-50. With 18 points on 8-for-11 shooting, Joe Burton was the top scorer from either team. The Crusaders had a fantastic effective field goal percentage of 0.638 (above their season average of 0.563), while the Lions had a turnover percentage of 25.3 (above their season average of 18.6).
The physical Valparaiso offense might be getting to the charity stripe a lot in this contest. The Crusaders rank 28th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.299, while Samford ranks 154th in FTA rate allowed (0.237) dating back to the 2016-17 season.
The Bulldogs are 20-18 straight up (SU) and 16-16 against the spread (ATS) since last season. Samford games have gone over the O/U total 59.4 percent of the time since last season.
The Crusaders, on the other hand, have records of 28-8 SU and 15-15-1 ATS since last season. Vegas has been fairly accurate when setting the O/U total of Valparaiso games over that same stretch with 16 unders compared to 13 overs.
Samford Bulldogs vs. Valparaiso Crusaders Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Valparaiso, ATS Winner – Valparaiso, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Crusaders rank 205th in three pointers attempted per game (20.2) while the Bulldogs rank 289th in three pointers allowed per game (24.6).
- Valparaiso ranks 181st in blocks per game (2.9) while Samford ranks 250th (2.3).
- Valparaiso ranks 132nd in assists allowed per game (12.9) while Samford ranks 305th (16.9).
- The Crusaders average 6.8 steals per game, which ranks 85th in the nation. The Bulldogs rank 221st in steals allowed per game (6.8).
- Valparaiso averages 38.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 54th in the nation. Samford ranks 171st in rebounds allowed per game (35.3).