The Chattanooga Mocs (6-14, 0-7 SoCon), who are currently on an eight-game losing streak, will try to get back in the win column when they welcome the Samford Bulldogs (7-13, 3-4 SoCon) to McKenzie Arena. Chattanooga opened as a 3-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 145 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018.
Samford Bulldogs at Chattanooga Mocs Free Preview
The Bulldogs were beaten by the Furman Paladins in their last contest, 78-67. Justin Coleman had a solid performance for Samford, leading both teams in scoring with 20 points on 8-for-14 shooting. Furman held the Bulldogs to an offensive rebounding percentage of 8.0 (below their season average of 28.6). Samford, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.571 vs. 0.526).
The last time the Mocs played, they were topped by the Wofford Terriers, 71-67. Makinde London was Chattanooga’s leading scorer with 20 points on 8-for-12 shooting. Wofford had an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 (above their season average of 25.0). Chattanooga, on the other hand, held the Terriers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.491 (below their season average of 0.592).
Chattanooga could have trouble getting to the free throw line in this battle. The Mocs rank 247th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.218, while Samford ranks 81st in FTA rate allowed (0.202). Additionally, the sharp-shooting offense of the Bulldogs ranks 39th in effective field goal percentage (0.556), while the Mocs are 53rd-worst in the NCAA at effective field goal percentage allowed (0.535).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games featuring Samford have finished over 57.1 percent of the time, while 56.3 percent of Chattanooga games have finished under. The Bulldogs hold the clear advantage straight up (SU) (7-13 vs. 6-14), but the Mocs have been better against the spread (ATS) (7-8-1 vs. 6-8).
Nat Dixon has been impressive over the last five games for Chattanooga, averaging 17.8 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 129 points, which was under the projected point total of 139.5. The Bulldogs won 73-56, covering as 2-point favorites. The Bulldogs dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.234 and a phenomenal effective field goal percentage of 0.660. The Mocs had marks of 0.033 and 0.450, respectively, for those same stats. Coleman was the games top overall scorer with 28 points.
Samford Bulldogs at Chattanooga Mocs Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Samford, ATS Winner – Samford, O/U – Over
- The Bulldogs rank 100th in steals per game (6.5) while the Mocs rank 165th in steals allowed per game (7.4).
- Chattanooga ranks 277th in rebounds per game (31.4) while Samford ranks 280th (30.6).
- Chattanooga is 1-5 ATS at home, while Samford is 3-7 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 5 of the Bulldogs 10 road games, while 4 of the Mocs 6 home games have gone under.
- Chattanooga ranks 10th in three pointers allowed per game (17.1) while Samford ranks 270th (27.1).
- The Mocs rank 90th in assists allowed per game (12.7) while the Bulldogs rank 251st (19.7).
- Samford ranks 16th in blocks allowed per game (2.4) while Chattanooga ranks 115th (3.6).
- Chattanooga is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Samford is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Mocs average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.8, up from 2.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 79.6 points per game (4.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 82.8 points per game (3.9 above their season average).