SthLnd foes will battle when the Nicholls Colonels (16-9, 10-2 SthLnd) take on the Sam Houston State Bearkats (16-10, 10-3 SthLnd) at David R. Stopher Gym. Action gets underway at 9:15 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 14, 2018.
Sam Houston State Bearkats at Nicholls Colonels Odds Preview
The Bearkats won a close one over the Lamar Cardinals in their last game, 71-69. With 13 points, nine rebounds and five assists, Sam Houston State’s Jamal Williams had a solid performance. Sam Houston State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.347 (above their season average of 0.231) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.7 (above their season average of 32.3). For those same stats, Lamar had marks of 0.224 and 31.4, respectively.
The last time the Colonels played, they blew out the Houston Baptist Huskies, 94-67. Nicholls Roddy Peters had a solid performance, contributing 21 points and 12 rebounds. Nicholls dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.5 (better than their season average of 18.2) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.651 (above their season average of 0.548). For those same stats, Houston Baptist was 18.6 and 0.444, respectively.
It could be a mistake-prone game for the Nicholls offense. Nicholls ranks 282nd in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.6 percent), while the disruptive defense of Sam Houston State forces the 48th-most turnovers in the nation (21.6 percent).
Peters has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Nicholls, averaging 21.2 points, 5.2 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 1.8 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. The Bearkats won the only contest played against each other last season, 74-61. The Bearkats dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 41.0 and a turnover percentage of 13.2. The Colonels put up marks of 11.1 and 14.4, respectively, for those same stats.
Sam Houston State Bearkats at Nicholls Colonels ATS Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Sam Houston State, ATS Winner – Sam Houston State, O/U – Under
- The Colonels average 4.1 blocks per game, which ranks 60th in the NCAA. The Bearkats rank 139th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- Sam Houston State averages 15.3 assists per game, which ranks 74th in the NCAA. Nicholls ranks 113th in assists allowed per game (13.1).
- Sam Houston State ranks 16th in steals allowed per game (4.7) while Nicholls ranks 185th (7.1).
- The Colonels rank 68th in three pointers allowed per game (20.0) while the Bearkats rank 228th (23.7).
- Sam Houston State averages 37.8 rebounds per game, which ranks 71st in the NCAA. Nicholls ranks 175th in rebounds allowed per game (35.7).
- The Colonels average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.8, up from 8.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bearkats have scored an average of 70.8 points per game (0.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.8 points per game (3.0 above their season average).