MAAC foes will collide when the Iona Gaels (6-7, 1-1 MAAC) square off against the Saint Peter’s Peacocks (7-6, 1-1 MAAC) at Hynes Athletics Center. Iona opened as a 7-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 138.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 5, 2018.
Saint Peter’s Peacocks vs. Iona Gaels Free Preview
The Peacocks beat the Monmouth Hawks in their last game, 77-64. Nick Griffin was the top scorer from either team with 17 points on 6-for-17 shooting. Saint Peter’s dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 34.3 (above their season average of 27.4) and a turnover percentage of 16.1 (worse than their season average of 15.9). Monmouth recorded marks of 17.2 and 23.8, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Gaels’ last game, they were defeated by the Canisius Golden Griffins, 85-78. With 14 points and 12 rebounds, Iona’s Deyshonee Much had a solid performance. Canisius did a fantastic job of making free throws (19-22; 86.4 percent). Iona, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (17.3 vs. 18.2).
It will be a battle of contrasting paces as the fast-breaking Gaels (ranked 93rd in the NCAA in possessions per game) will look to push the slower-paced Peacocks (331st in possessions per game).
Neither team has shown a tendency in terms of going over or under the projected point total. The Peacocks have the superior straight up (SU) record (7-6 vs. 6-7), but the Gaels hold the sizable advantage against the spread (ATS) (6-3-1 vs. 3-5).
Much has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Iona, averaging 14.2 points and 1.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Gaels won all three games last season. In the last game, Iona won 73-65. The Gaels played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.388 and a turnover percentage of 10.7. The Peacocks were 0.204 and 20.3, respectively, for those same stats.
Saint Peter’s Peacocks at Iona Gaels Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Saint Peter’s, ATS Winner – Saint Peter’s, O/U – Under
- The Gaels rank 68th in assists per game (15.8) while the Peacocks rank 71st in assists allowed per game (12.0).
- On the road, Saint Peter’s is 2-5 ATS with 4 unders and 3 overs.
- Iona is 1-0 ATS at home with 1 under and 0 overs.
- Iona averages 27.6 three pointers per game, which ranks 21st in the NCAA. Saint Peter’s ranks 118th in three pointers allowed per game (21.7).
- The Gaels rank 175th in rebounds per game (34.9) while the Peacocks rank 229th (32.9).
- Saint Peter’s is 31st in the nation with 5.2 steals allowed per game while Iona is 47th with 5.5 steals allowed per game.
- Iona is 2-1-1 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Saint Peter’s is 1-2 ATS with 2 overs and 1 under.
- The Gaels have been outscored by an average of 0.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Iona has defeated opponents by an average of 0.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Peacocks have scored an average of 68.2 points per game (1.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 68.4 points per game (1.2 above their season average).