The St. John’s Red Storm (9-2) and the Saint Joseph’s Hawks (5-5) square off at Mohegan Sun Arena. St. John’s opened as a 7.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 146.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 20, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Saint Joseph’s Hawks vs. St. John’s Red Storm Odds Preview
The Hawks beat the Maine Black Bears in their last contest, 72-59. With 19 points and 10 rebounds, James Demery played well for Saint Joseph’s. Saint Joseph’s dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.200 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 3.6 (better than their season average of 11.4). For those same stats, Maine had marks of 0.031 and 20.8, respectively.
In the Red Storm’s last matchup, they defeated the Iona Gaels, 69-59. Bashir Ahmed had a solid performance for St. John’s, contributing 12 points and 11 rebounds. The Red Storm knocked down 23 of their 27 free throws (85.2 percent), while the Gaels had a turnover percentage of 19.2 (above their season average of 13.8).
Looking at effective field goal percentage, St. John’s should have a considerable edge. The Red Storm defense ranks 15th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.435), while the Saint Joseph’s offense is ranked 297th in effective field goal percentage (0.476). Also, the Hawks rank first in turnover percentage (12.1 percent), while the Red Storm rank fifth in opponents turnover percentage (27.2 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games involving Saint Joseph’s have finished over 62.5 percent of the time, while 71.4 percent of St. John’s games have gone under. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Red Storm have a substantial advantage. They are 9-2 SU and 4-4-1 ATS, while the Hawks are 5-5 SU and 3-5 ATS.
Saint Joseph’s Hawks vs. St. John’s Red Storm Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – St. John’s, ATS Winner – Saint Joseph’s, O/U – Under
- The Red Storm rank sixth in blocks per game (6.5) while the Hawks rank 111th in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- St. John’s ranks 14th in steals per game (9.5) while Saint Joseph’s ranks 93rd (6.7).
- St. John’s ranks 29th in assists allowed per game (10.8) while Saint Joseph’s ranks 200th (16.0).
- The Red Storm average 37.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 88th in the nation. The Hawks rank 237th in rebounds allowed per game (40.8).
- Saint Joseph’s ranks 38th in three pointers attempted per game (26.2) while St. John’s ranks 175th in three pointers allowed per game (23.2).
- The Red Storm’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.8, down from 12.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 72.0 points per game (2.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.6 points per game (1.7 below their season average).