The No. 25 Rhode Island Rams (24-6, 16-3 A10) and the Saint Joseph’s Hawks (16-15, 11-8 A10) face off in the Atlantic 10 Conference Tourney at Capital One Arena. Rhode Island opened as a 7.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 142 points. Action gets underway at 1 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 10, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Saint Joseph’s Hawks vs. Rhode Island Rams Betting Preview
The last time the Hawks played, they easily got past the George Mason Patriots, 68-49. Nick Robinson was the top scorer from either team with 14 points on 4-for-9 shooting. The Hawks held the Patriots to an effective field goal percentage of 0.311 (below their season average of 0.496). The Patriots had a free throw rate of 0.180 (below their season average of 0.237).
The Rams come in on a high note after topping the VCU Rams in their last game, 76-67. Rhode Island was led by Jared Terrell, who contributed 16 points. Rhode Island had a better turnover percentage (13.5 vs. 16.8) and held VCU to an effective field goal percentage of 0.451 (below their season average of 0.528).
Rhode Island could put on a ball-control clinic in this contest. Rhode Island ranks 23rd in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 15.7 percent), while Saint Joseph’s forces the 58th-fewest turnovers (16.7 percent).
Of Saint Joseph’s 28 games with betting action, 16 have finished over the projected point total, while 14 of Rhode Island’s 27 games have finished over the projected point total. The Rams have the superior straight up (SU) record (24-6 vs. 16-15), but both teams have comparable against the spread (ATS) records. Rhode Island is 14-11-2, while Saint Joseph’s is 15-13 ATS.
Robinson has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Saint Joseph’s, averaging 13.8 points, 7.4 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 126 points, well under the projected point total of 147.5. The Hawks won 78-48, covering as 14-point underdogs. Saint Joseph’s did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (16-21; 76.2 percent). Rhode Island, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (31.4 vs. 23.3). James Demery scored a game-high 21 points.
Saint Joseph’s Hawks vs. Rhode Island Rams Prediction
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Rhode Island, ATS Winner – Rhode Island, O/U – Under
- The Rams rank 20th in steals per game (7.8) while the Hawks rank 115th (6.4).
- Rhode Island ranks 105th in blocks per game (3.5) while Saint Joseph’s ranks 162nd in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- Rhode Island ranks third in three pointers allowed per game (15.7) while Saint Joseph’s ranks 307th (28.2).
- The Rams rank 42nd in assists allowed per game (11.4) while the Hawks rank 238th (15.0).
- Rhode Island ranks 106th in rebounds allowed per game (33.8) while Saint Joseph’s ranks 272nd (38.7).
- Rhode Island is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Saint Joseph’s is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Rams average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.8, down from 8.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 74.4 points per game (0.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 63.2 points per game (8.4 below their season average).