The Saint Joseph’s Hawks (13-15, 8-8 A10) will travel to Thomas M. Ryan Center to square off with the No. 17 Rhode Island Rams (23-4, 15-1 A10) in their home finale. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 148.5 points with Rhode Island opening as a 14-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 27, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Saint Joseph’s Hawks vs. Rhode Island Rams Betting Preview
In the Hawks’ last outing, they edged the Richmond Spiders, 72-70. Nick Robinson led Saint Joseph’s in scoring with 20 points on 8-for-12 shooting. The Hawks made 15 of their 18 free throws (83.3 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.528 (above their season average of 0.477).
The Rams will look to maintain momentum after blowing out the Dayton Flyers in their last game, 81-56. With 20 points on 9-for-11 shooting, Jeff Dowtin was the top scorer from either team. The Rams forced 22 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.598 (above their season average of 0.524).
Rhode Island should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Rhode Island ranks 24th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 15.7 percent), while Saint Joseph’s forces the 67th-fewest turnovers (16.9 percent). Moreover, the Hawks rank 255th in offensive efficiency (102.5), while the Rams rank 31st in defensive efficiency (97.5).
Both of these teams have a tendency to go over the projected point total. Games featuring Saint Joseph’s have gone over 57.7 percent of the time, while Rhode Island games have finished over 56.0 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Rams have a substantial advantage. They are 23-4 SU and 14-9-2 ATS, while the Hawks are 13-15 SU and 13-13 ATS.
Shavar Newkirk has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Saint Joseph’s, averaging 19.4 points, 6.0 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Rams won both meetings last season. In the most recent game, Rhode Island won 68-49. The Rams dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 39.3 and a free throw rate of 0.246. The Hawks were 24.3 and 0.180, respectively, for those same stats.
Saint Joseph’s Hawks at Rhode Island Rams Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Rhode Island, ATS Winner – Saint Joseph’s, O/U – Over
- The Rams rank 17th in steals per game (8.0) while the Hawks rank 110th (6.4).
- Rhode Island averages 3.6 blocks per game, which ranks 93rd in the NCAA. Saint Joseph’s ranks 150th in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- On the road, Saint Joseph’s is 7-9 ATS with 10 overs and 6 unders.
- Rhode Island is 9-3-1 ATS at home with 8 unders and 5 overs.
- Rhode Island ranks second in three pointers allowed per game (15.2) while Saint Joseph’s ranks 289th (28.1).
- The Rams rank 35th in assists allowed per game (11.4) while the Hawks rank 244th (15.5).
- Rhode Island ranks 75th in rebounds allowed per game (33.1) while Saint Joseph’s ranks 281st (39.0).
- Rhode Island is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Saint Joseph’s is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Rams’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.0, up from 10.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 77.2 points per game (3.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 70.4 points per game (3.0 below their season average).